You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New to vatsim- no controllers available...

Charles Kelly

Charles Kelly
Posted
Posted

Good morning.

New to Vatsim and just logged in for the first time to listen to some conversation. Looked on Vattastic and there was no controllers in the areas I usually fly (PNW and CO), including airports and centers. I guess I can just pick another area, but what do you generally do if there are no controllers in the area that you are flying?

Thanks for the help.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I guess I can just pick another area, but what do you generally do if there are no controllers in the area that you are flying?

Option 1 -- Monitor 122.8, transmit your intentions if you may encroach on another pilot's intended path, proceed as though you are cleared as filed, and keep an eye on your pilot client to see if a controller magically appears while you're doing your thing.

Option 2 -- use Vattastic or VAT-Spy to see where ATC is, & start planning a flight there. Note that there's no guarantee they'll still be online by the time you pop the parking brakes off, so you may end up reverting to Option 1 anyway.

I try to plan my flights around events published on VATSIM and VATUSA calendars, where I know there will be online ATC. I am also mindful of "prime time" hours when there are more likely to be more people around.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 3 weeks later...
Mark Taylor 1268798
Posted
Posted

I recently made a suggestion to our TA that a link be placed on our ARTCC website for a pilot to request ATC services at a specific time/date. The link would send a short email to all active controllers that there would be traffic in the ARTCC. It would then be up to the individual if he could supply any level of ATC at that time.

Its always best for the training department to train with actual traffic, and an active ARTCC draws more traffic. End result, if successful, would be a more active, more popular ARTCC to fly in, and more traffic for controllers. Or it might not draw enough use to justify the necessary work involved to code the site.

In any event I was told not to hold my breath, basically. But as both a pilot and controller, I wish every ARTCC would do this. At least test it out.

Mark

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

VATUSA using VATBOOK? Preposterous!

In the states I generally pick departure airports where ATC has been on for less than 40 minutes, that normally gives me cover out. Depending on the length of flight I can use the same logic for the destination, or the controller could have been nice enough to put a log-off time in their remarks, there could be an event going on, or it could be a place like ZBW or ZTL which seem to have more controllers online for longer more often.