You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Strange and Very Agitating Occurance Today..

Terry Kocher 919807

Terry Kocher 919807
Posted
Posted

I have flown on VATSIM for a year and a half, and have flown flightsim for more than double that time, and never has this happened to me.

I departed from Anchorage, Alaska bound for Atlanta, Georgia at around 12:30pm EST today. I was a cruise altitude for around 6 hours with a nice tailwind when, within ZID airspace my frames absolutely just go right down the garbage disposal. I was getting less than 1FPS, I immediately checked my system processes and found that other than System Idle, FS9 was the only program takeing up CPU usage.

I turned off Activesky6, I disconnected from VATSIM, cleared all weather, and turned my scenery settings to "Minimal" thinking maybe doing all this will help this situation. Not as much as I thought it would, doing this allowed my system to actually maintain 1 FPS whereas before, the frames were so low that 3 seconds would go by before the screen would update.

Literally seconds after this, flight sim crashes.

This is the only time this has ever happened to me, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what happened! I am a little agitated seeing as I was less than 30 minutes from ATL on a flight that I had been doing all day when this happened.

System specs:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.20GHz

2.00GB of RAM

RADEON 9800 PRO

Microsoft Windows XP Professional, SP2

pilot.gif

3712.png

Luca Vetturi 874351
Posted
Posted

maybe any cpu-whore program running in the background?

like, for example, an antivirus disk check...

Red over white, you're all right.

Italy vACC proud supporter

Jeroen Wenting 835249
Posted
Posted

ActiveSky has a tendency to claim all CPU resources when downloading weather (at least 2004.5 did, maybe 6 is better (I've not tried it)).

If you have a dual core CPU try forcing AS into a specific core (FS will then take the other as Windows gives it the room it needs).