You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

HF Simulation on AFV

Joshua Jenkins

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Ok so according to the AFV User Guide:

If you happen to have an add-on aircraft which has an HF gauge and it has been

programmed by its developer to use the AFV SDK for HF tuning, you can tune the HF

frequency directly.

Does anyone have a list of addon aircraft the have this ability (especially for FSX/P3D)? I know some PMDG aircraft for example have the abilty to tune HF radios but I don't know if they work with AFV. Just kind of curious as CTP is coming up relatively soon

Cheers,

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

None as yet but once the madness of making sure everything goes smoothly in a couple of weeks time is out the way we can look properly at the SDK (priority 1 at the moment is ensuring that when we go live it doesn't all blow up and everyone can hear everyone that they should be hearing!).

Essentially -- the principle is that we want to provide a means for native HF tuning capability (and other functionality) so that the HF radios that are currently 'just for show' in addon aircraft like the PMDG stuff can actually become functional and we're very happy to hear from any developers interested in working with us so we can work out the best way to do so -- I wouldn't hold your breath for this CTP though.

In the meantime the VHF 'alias' functionality works extremely well - so for this CTP you will tune a VHF freq in the aircraft but internally AFV will use the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated HF frequency and you will get all the appropriate sound effects and HF range etc!

Vice President, Pilot Training

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks for the clarification Simon. Can't wait to see the many upcoming features of AFV!

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Hope the controllers use their SELCAL again. Last couple of cross the ponds, ATC has been a bit SELCAL shy, and I've been sitting with my headset off till they start sending me messages about why I haven't replied to them on voice multiple times somewhere around 030W after I'd had a sucesful SELCAL test with Clearance.

Not gonna be fun sitting there with a headset on HF fuzzy buzz for 4 hours.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
Hope the controllers use their SELCAL again. Last couple of cross the ponds, ATC has been a bit SELCAL shy, and I've been sitting with my headset off till they start sending me messages about why I haven't replied to them on voice multiple times somewhere around 030W after I'd had a sucesful SELCAL test with Clearance.

Not gonna be fun sitting there with a headset on HF fuzzy buzz for 4 hours.

Following yesterday's test I think I now know why.... I think a lot of controllers have been doing it wrong.

For info for anyone watching: the correct format to SELCAL an aicraft with code AB-CD is to send, over the text frequency, "selcal AB-CD" (obviously without the quotes, and, critically, without any "." before SELCAL).

.selcal AB-CD will not work, and selcal ABCD (without the hyphen) appears to only work on some pilot clients as well (there's an AFV manual update right there!).

In Euroscope, you can type .selcal and then select the aircraft -- although all that does ultimately is to simply transmit "selcal AB-CD" on the text frequency as above.

One of the items on the AFV to-do list post-release is to eventually get full audio SELCAL working over the voice frequency... one day!

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
And for lazy controllers (like me) using Eurscope I have made an ALIAS for SELCAL:

.SEL .SELCAL $1

Probably even

.S .SELCAL $1

will work.

No it won't! ([Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming $1 is the SELCAL code).

Remove the "." and it will.

Edit: to elaborate:

.S .SELCAL $aircraft

...should work (if I recall the alias format correctly) -- you would then type .s and it will pull the SELCAL code that has been entered in the FP SEL/ remark and send that over the frequency.

Alternatively

.S SELCAL $1

...if you wish to type the code itself.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Simon,

when using Euroscope, I am using ".SELAL" (with the dot), as you wrote in your previous post. I have not tried "SELCAL" yet, but I faintly remember that it did not work with all pilots.

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

One of the items on the AFV to-do list post-release is to eventually get full audio SELCAL working over the voice frequency... one day!

That's a drool worthy sentence.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015