You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot Voice

Karim Abdelmouti 1244211

Karim Abdelmouti 1244211
Posted
Posted

After updating to the last version of the clients both (both remote and host mode) I can hear only the controller replying to me and to other pilots but I can't hear pilots on the frequency, is there something wrong here? thanks.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

No, nothing is wrong.

You may be in range of the controller, but not the other pilots. It depends on the controller's configuration (i.e. whether they have cross-coupling available/in use) and your height (if you are on the ground or at low level, your range will be very limited so you may well not be hearing other pilots who are a long way away).

Vice President, Pilot Training

Karim Abdelmouti 1244211
Posted
Posted
No, nothing is wrong.

You may be in range of the controller, but not the other pilots. It depends on the controller's configuration (i.e. whether they have cross-coupling available/in use) and your height (if you are on the ground or at low level, your range will be very limited so you may well not be hearing other pilots who are a long way away).

okay so how I would know when they are transmitting so I wont step on them?

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

You don't, just like in real life

If this becomes a problem for the controller, they have an option to cross couple their frequencies so all can hear one another.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Karim Abdelmouti 1244211
Posted
Posted
You don't, just like in real life

If this becomes a problem for the controller, they have an option to cross couple their frequencies so all can hear one another.

Great, so I guess I'm all set then thanks for your help!

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
okay so how I would know when they are transmitting so I wont step on them?

You won't directly, but listen carefully to the flow of transmissions on the frequency and don't jump in obviously in the middle of a sequence of transmissions where you would expect the pilot to be reading something back, for instance and you should effectively minimise your chances of stepping on somebody (and stepping on a readback is the thing which is much more of an annoyance than stepping on an initial call as the latter could happen just as easily even if you could hear everybody as everyone in theory is waiting for that suitable gap!).

As Gunnar says, this is quite often an issue in many real-world scenarios as well and something which pilots and controllers alike need to have an appreciation of -- as I say, the best defence is to listen carefully and pick your moment appropriately (and promptly!).

Vice President, Pilot Training