You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Resolved: Realistic radio effects?

Freddy Wilhelmsen 811235

Freddy Wilhelmsen 811235
Posted
Posted

Hi!

Did a short connection test today, and found the realistic distortion to be a bit "too much" I had problems reading what the ATC/Pilots were saying due to the effect beeing to strong. Is this effect "static" or does it change by distance between me and transmitting station ?.

Rgds

Freddy Wilhelmsen

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Hi Freddy,

The amount of static changes depending on how far you are away from the station. If you are at the edge of range (particularly if you are at lower levels) then yes, things will be close to unreadable (we are after all simulating an analogue system in a digital world so to the best of our ability we have tried not to make it on/off as you go out of range!)

Also if you are on HF there is much more static (and it's still a lot clearer than real life!).

Vice President, Pilot Training

Freddy Wilhelmsen 811235
Posted
Posted

Thx for quick reply. In my initial test i was fairly long away from the stations. Did a new test, and when in reasonable range the TX came through much clearer!. This is fantastic!

Freddy