You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Remote AFV client

Stuart MacIntosh 1245742

Stuart MacIntosh 1245742
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately the AFV client doesn't work in Wine on Ubuntu for me - even with .NET, DirectX and other prerequisites in the environment, and Wine is not a practical solution for lack of platform support anyway. I suspect Mac users are facing similar difficulty.

So instead of waiting for proper Linux/Mac support, I setup a Windows virtual machine (ugh) on a spare Linux box, and attached my USB headset to the VM. Then I made a small Python client/server app to remote-control the PTT button from my simulator via TCP/IP.

It's a bit ugly, but it's better than relying on Wine... The code is here:

https://github.com/barf/ptt-remote

It works by using a Pygame and ZeroMQ client (ptt_remote_tx.py) which attaches to your stick/yoke/USB-HID-PTT-button-thing, and sends the button event data to the server (ptt_remote_rx.py) running ZeroMQ and vJoystick.

Hopefully this helps someone else get flying too!

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

Stuart,

Thanks for your creative workaround. I think we are all waiting on Chris and Roland to be the Mac/Linux messiahs here to get you guys all online.

Apologies for making you guys feel a bit left out, however we made the decision to make a cut over to AFV to get the majority of the network online, which seems to have spurred the cross platform developers to work their backsides off in order to get compatibility for you all.

I know the guys pushed a Swift update last night? Did this not help?

Hopefully speak to you in the skies soon!

Gary

AFV Lead

Ivan Duris
Posted
Posted

Hello Stuart,

nice solution, also for my problem with AFV on other PC as XP11 is with Flight Joystick (I'm on Win platform, problem posted inside Windows Conference). I'll be wait for official update of AVF for external Joy button mapping. Yesterday I've solved this with external Gamepad with simple hard wire which is working perfectly

OM-ICO

OM-ICO