You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

In-sim typing: is it possible?

Craig Tucker 1463103

Craig Tucker 1463103
Posted
Posted

I use text communication a lot, and I only have a single monitor. Whilst I appreciate the hotkey to bring the xPilot window up, there's a few problems with that. Firstly, there is some lag and sometimes it registers the keypress and other times nothing happens.

Second, and more important, as xPilot is an external window I lose all control in X-Plane. It's really not possible to keep up with instructions during final approach and type in an external window. It's the equivalent of Alt + tabbing out of X-Plane to read and respond to messages, leaving my aircraft uncontrolled. XSquakBox is the only other pilot client I've seen with the ability to type within the sim and it's so much easier to use for those of us who use text. There is already support in xPilot to show messages in the sim, but not for typing them.

xPilot text features are miles better than XSB however, especially the highlighting of messages and notification sounds. It's just a shame that the external window makes typing extremely impractical.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

XSB will see an update in the not-too-distant future, which will at least get you back to where you were.

I believe that xPilot, much like vPilot, was designed specifically to work outside the simulator for multiple monitor users and in order to decrease the complexity of integrating it into the simulator.

Forgive me for making [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umptions, but with the exciting forward movement in AFV, this might be a perfect opportunity for you to switch to using voice if you're so equipped.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Aaron Nen 1410233
Posted
Posted

I have the same request as Craig. One monitor, and would be super nice to 1) be able to map a hot key to functionality that toggles the in sim text box. And 2), of the ability to type while in the sim much like XSB. I do use voice, but find alot of scenarios where I need to use text (private messages, . commands, etc.)

Craig Tucker 1463103
Posted
Posted
XSB will see an update in the not-too-distant future, which will at least get you back to where you were.

I believe that xPilot, much like vPilot, was designed specifically to work outside the simulator for multiple monitor users and in order to decrease the complexity of integrating it into the simulator.

Forgive me for making [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umptions, but with the exciting forward movement in AFV, this might be a perfect opportunity for you to switch to using voice if you're so equipped.

I've heard of the upcoming XSB update. I'm on the fence whether to stick with xPilot or not. Like I said, there are some great features in xPilot like message highlighting.

Using voice isn't an option for me currently, and I think text has important uses in VATSIM for various reasons, so it should be as easy to use as possible without hindering control of the sim. I'm not sure how difficult it is to integrate message typing within X-Plane, but it seems there is already some level of integration since received text messages are displayed inside the sim already.