You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xPilot interference whem messages received

Don Jones

Don Jones
Posted
Posted

Hi. I'm receiving voice and messages in xPilot but annoyingly every time an ATC or another aircraft message appears in the window I hear a momentary static noise in my headset. Any ideas anyone?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Probably the notification sound for received text messages. It's intentional. But it can be loud and annoying if the sound balance isn't right.

On my PC I have the xPilot notification sounds coming through my speakers, and ATC comms coming through my headset, which made it easy to go under the Windows mixer to reduce the output volume of the notification sounds. You can try that, but, with both the notices and the actual comms coming through the same device, I'm not sure if you get separate sliders and have to figure out which is which, or, get one slider that affects both. So you might have to play with it.

An alternate solution would be to go into the folder with the notification sounds (should be \Users\{name}\AppData\Local\xPilot\sounds, unless you moved it) and edit, replace, or delete the .wav file you don't like.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Don Jones
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert. Excuse my ignorance but how do you set it up so that the notifications come through the speakers & the ATC through the headphones? I've just ordered a set of USB headphones to replace an old 3.5mm jack set ( separate input jacks for headset & microphone ) which might improve the problem. I'd rather use the headset exclusively for ATC as you said. Running on Windows 10 computer.

Ivan Duris
Posted
Posted

Hello,

only for sure, also check cyclically this Conference: viewforum.php?f=138

Jason doing fantastic job for bug fixing and update of his Client...

OM-ICO

OM-ICO

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
how do you set it up so that the notifications come through the speakers & the ATC through the headphones?.

As long as the two playback devices show up as separate options, it's easy as pie. (And, most USB headsets will show up as a separate playback device.)

The notification sounds will automatically come through whatever default playback device you have selected in Windows when you launch xPilot. That should probably be your speakers or what-have-you. The ATC comms will come through whichever device you select in the xPilot "Settings" dialog box. With that done, you can go under Windows output mixer (system tray, lower right) and easily identify that the xPilot slider on the Speakers array is for the notification sounds, and the slider under the Headset array is for the comms.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Don Jones
Posted
Posted

Great. Many thanks I'll set it up that way tomorrow when the USB headset arrives.