You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

2 Things learned about XSB Stand-alone AFV client with XP10

Jim Rosado 896019

Jim Rosado 896019
Posted
Posted

Love the new AFV! Sounds Great!

Bummed out about losing XSB next year, but I do understand, and hope for a viable alternative to Swift for us XP10 users.

============================

XSB Stand-Alone Client with XP10:

1. You apparently cannot successfully select your computer speakers to feed the AFV stand-alone client's audio thru. When I tried that, it repeatedly resulted in hanging up the program (so badly that I had to restart the flight sim and the AFV client). I can only feed the AFV audio thru my USB headset. Hoping that the team might eventually fix that.

2. I must always go into the AFV Settings and change the "PTT" key/button depending upon what I'm doing. If I am using VRC to provide online ATC on the network, I must [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign my normal keyboard PTT key that I use to talk on voice. If I am flying, I must [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the PTT key to the flight yoke button I use to talk on voice. My hope is that they might eventually add something to the Settings to better accommodate that, since there are so many of us that both provide online ATC and fly on VATSIM.

Kudos to the AFV Team! Thanks for AFV!

"I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!"

Gary Oliver
Posted
Posted

XSB is currently being updated to work with AFV natively. Not sure what you mean about loosing XSB next year? Thats not the case, thats SB4 for FS9, not XSB.

Cheers

G

Jim Rosado 896019
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that update.

I've seen a few posts that point out the fact that XSB (and perhaps FSINN?) is/are no longer supported by its developer. Those posts imply that both XSB and FSINN will be "retired" from VATSIM by the summer of 2020. I hope that is incorrect, but if it is accurate, that means that (unless they replace them with a way for XP10 X-Plane users to connect with and use AFV), the only option for such users will be Swift, which (I guess because it is "open archtecture") seems like a nightmare to learn and use.

I will say that I was controlling at ZAN last night and provided ATC to a departure out of PANC that uses Swift (he had it listed in his flight plan remarks). His voice sounded pretty terrible, so apparently that is the way Swift makes AFV sound.

Thanks!

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

XSquawkBox is not the same as Squawkbox.

XSB will still be supported, but SQB won't.

Me.

Jim Rosado 896019
Posted
Posted

Thank you for that clarification, it makes a world of difference to XP10 X-Plane users like me!

I truly appreciate that!