You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Justin Shannon

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Datarefs have been a big topic of discussion since the launch of xPilot and AFV. Although X-Plane maintains a (very large) standard set of datarefs to control aircraft functions (like com radios), aircraft developers are free to invent their own datarefs, or worse, use the standard datarefs incorrectly. Because of this, it has become increasingly difficult for me to support the infinite combinations of datarefs. So, I went back to the drawing board to find a way to better way to address the problem. I'd like to gather feedback from the community on their thoughts, suggestions and opinions on this concept.

Essentially, what I envision is the ability to define custom dataref configuration profiles that can be loaded on-demand within the xPilot client. By default, xPilot would use the standard default datarefs to control the com radios, transponder, etc. If you're using an aircraft that does not use the standard datarefs, then you could create or load an existing configuration file for said aircraft, which would tell xPilot to override the default datarefs and use the ones defined in the configuration file instead.

In addition to datarefs, there would also be the option for Command definitions. Currently, xPilot only uses two commands; one to toggle the transponder mode and one to toggle the transponder ident through the UI.

The configuration file would be in JSON format. Here's a sample of what it could look like for the Zibo 737 (the config structure is subject to change):

{
 "Aircraft": "Zibo737",
 "Version": "0.1",
 "Datarefs": {
   "Power": {
     "Master": "sim/cockpit/electrical/battery_on",
     "Avionics": "sim/cockpit/electrical/battery_on"
   },
   "Radios": {
     "Com1": {
       "FrequencyHz": "sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/com1_frequency_hz",
       "Rx": "laminar/B738/comm/audio_sel_com1",
       "Tx": "sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/audio_selection_com1"
     },
     "Com2": {
       "FrequencyHz": "sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/com2_frequency_hz",
       "Rx": "laminar/B738/comm/audio_sel_com2",
       "Tx": "sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/audio_selection_com2"
     }
   },
   "Transponder": {
     "Code": "sim/cockpit/radios/transponder_code",
     "Mode": "laminar/B738/knob/transponder_pos",
     "Modes": {
       "Standby": "1",
       "ModeC": "3"
     }
   }
 },
 "Commands": {
   "Transponder": {
     "ModeUp": "laminar/B738/knob/transponder_mode_up",
     "ModeDown": "laminar/B738/knob/transponder_mode_dn",
     "Ident": "laminar/B738/push_button/transponder_ident_dn"
   }
 }
}

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Keanu Czirjak
Posted
Posted

I think you should unite with other client devs to produce some sort of standardised version of a dataref configuration file maybe. I probably make no sense but that's just an idea

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
I think you should unite with other client devs to produce some sort of standardised version of a dataref configuration file maybe. I probably make no sense but that's just an idea

That would be great; however, I’m fairly certain that XSB and swift don’t (currently) look to see if the aircraft and radios are configured properly before allow the user to transmit and receive.

Vie Andrea
Posted
Posted

I think it's a great idea and speaking of aircrafts/avionics integration, is it possible to add an interplugin communication SDK like xsquawkbox had so we can have intercom RX/TX flags directly in the aircaft. It was used by some developpers like RXP GTNs and the Hotstart TBM900.

Thanks for all your work !

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
That would be great; however, I’m fairly certain that XSB and swift don’t (currently) look to see if the aircraft and radios are configured properly before allow the user to transmit and receive.

Can confirm, at least prior to the AFV switchover. Park and shut the airplane down, and if you were using Swift or XSquawkBox, your VATSIM radios would still be happily chirping away even though your avionics were off and your battery was disconnected. Whether that situation persists with Swift 0.9.3 and/or XSB with AFV, I don't know.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

No, with the latest versions of swift (that have AFV integrated), you can only transmit/receive when your systems are powered.

Justin I suggest you at least get in touch with the devs of swift, have you joined our Discord? There's no competition, xPilot can and should co-exist with XSB and swift, this way all users have a choice.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Hey, Justin, have you considered a tickbox in the settings dialog marked something like "Override Radio Power Status"? Some users might prefer it, and at least it would make the app usable for pilots of these planes until their developers get their you-know-what together.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to s[Mod - lovely stuff] this idea and instead opt for a more simple solution.

By default, the com radio panel within the aircraft will be used to set the com radio status and frequency.

For aircraft models that do not use the standard datarefs, a new .rx (formerly .com) and .tx command will be available. The .rx command will set which com radio(s) are able to receive audio. The .tx command will set the active com radio for transmitting.