You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unicom voice communication

Kyle Williamson 1462527

Kyle Williamson 1462527
Posted
Posted

What is going on with the 122.8 Unicom channel. I have heard that we are not supposed to use voice over the channel, but this is just not true to real life. Can we use it for voice, or is it fround upon. Texting is not the proper way to communicate in the air unless you are receiving updates for your company over acars. I'm not trying to "ruffle feathers", I just want to make sure I'm staying in the guidelines. Thanks in advance.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Since the new voice system has gone live, voice communication over 122.8 is allowed and encouraged. If you see via your pilot client that there is someone nearby on 122.8 who cannot receive voice, as a courtesy you should still announce your intentions via text as a courtesy to them. Otherwise, voice away.

For right now, 122.8 is still the appropriate UNICOM/CTAF frequency whenever you're not in ATC-controlled space. Sometime in the future the network policy will migrate to using locally-published CTAF channels, but for now, stick with the global one only.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png