You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Direct to waypoint not on route

Ben Matthys 1469353

Ben Matthys 1469353
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone,

Did my first flight on VATSIM today with a 737 from EGLL to EHAM, somehow I've made it to my destination but boy was it stressful! There was one request by ATC that I had no idea how to respond to. He asked me to fly direct to a waypoint, so I thought to just move the waypoint up to the 1st leg, but I didn't have the waypoint in my route. Is there a way to add a waypoint mid-flight? Or is there something else I should have done/asked?

Thanks in advance!

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Hi Ben,

This will greatly depend on what you are using as navigation equipment mate. If ATC wants you to navigate to a point not on your approved flight plan, they need to ensure the pilot can find it. If for what ever reason you couldn’t comply with any atc request, simply say, “unable” which will prompt them to make further enquiries, and buy you some extra time.

If you are using a payware aircraft with an fmc/s you could go to the fix page and goto. If not it does depend on what you are using.

If you can post the sim you are using, and navigation software, it would help a lot.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ben Matthys 1469353
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the reply, I'm using the Zibo 737 on X-Plane 11.

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

I’ve never used the Zibo 737, and not familiar with X-Plane. From what I do know, I’d say it has a simulated Boeing fmc.

This YouTube video may be helpful.

As a short cut, and if Zibo 737 is a good quality, on the legs page, type the provided waypoint in the scratch pad, and then push the L1 button to put it into the route. Be aware this probably will not delete your route, so be aware your aircraft will return to your route after getting to that new waypoint.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ben Matthys 1469353
Posted
Posted

Just tried it and works like a charm, thanks a lot Sean!

Tim Wong
Posted
Posted

Hello Ben,

first of all, welcome to VATSIM.

The Zibo 737 is one of the most advanced aircraft in XP11. With that being said, the simulated systems inside the aircraft are very complex and not very easy for beginners. However, you may download the 737 manual in order to get familiar with this beautiful aircraft. Thereafter, I am sure that you will enjoy every single moment on VATSIM

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-tdl3VvPeOOYm12Wm80V04wdDQ?fbclid=IwAR3Gi7oLY8vrdzHcyCwCXqVulTbsp0F96lgzdKbCb_R4kuM2_DXoJTu8c2c

Do you want your Virtual Airline to become an official partner on VATSIM or to participate in the VAA Program?
Visit https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/virtual-airlines

Tim Wong
Director of Virtual Airline Relations
VATSIM.net Virtual Airlines and Special Operations Administration
9KMxVhG.png

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

In this specific case, that must have been SPL or SPY after SUGOL. Normally we (EHAM CTR controllers) give this instruction as soon as possible on the STAR (after SUGOL proceed direct SPY). This gives you ample time to do 'FMC stuff', plan your descent etc.

If you are unable to enter the waypoint, for whatever reason, just say so to ATC. We will change our instructions accordingly (leave SUGOL on heading 090). No problem at all, we're both on the same team

Martijn

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

The good news, I guess, is that this isn't a common request, at least in my experience. This one sounds like it might be kind of a local anomaly (i.e. it's standard here), but ordinarily you'll get shortcutted to a point that's further along your route like you suggested. Two positive takeaways -- 1) next time you fly into EHAM you'll know what to expect! 2) as a new VATSIM pilot you are bound to encounter situations you've never seen before, and learning how to think on your toes is part of the challenge and the fun!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
The good news, I guess, is that this isn't a common request, at least in my experience. This one sounds like it might be kind of a local anomaly (i.e. it's standard here), but ordinarily you'll get shortcutted to a point that's further along your route like you suggested. Two positive takeaways -- 1) next time you fly into EHAM you'll know what to expect! 2) as a new VATSIM pilot you are bound to encounter situations you've never seen before, and learning how to think on your toes is part of the challenge and the fun!

I'd say it's more common. In Germany, we often use some of the transition waypoints to pin pilots to, "proceed direct DT452" or "proceed direct DM422, thereafter DM429". This goes (in real life) as far as "proceed direct IRMAS, thereafter follow 26R transition" where IRMAS is not the starting point of the transition (I'm not brave enough to try this on vatsim ).

Very common in real life and useful online as well. Always a good idea to take out charts of possible procedures during cruise to get familiar with what is possible to expect

Ben Matthys 1469353
Posted
Posted
In this specific case, that must have been SPL or SPY after SUGOL. Normally we (EHAM CTR controllers) give this instruction as soon as possible on the STAR (after SUGOL proceed direct SPY). This gives you ample time to do 'FMC stuff', plan your descent etc.

If you are unable to enter the waypoint, for whatever reason, just say so to ATC. We will change our instructions accordingly (leave SUGOL on heading 090). No problem at all, we're both on the same team

Martijn

That was exactly what happened, direct to SPY, but I was so nervous I had no idea what to respond It was a lot of fun though and the ATC's guided me perfectly on to the runway even though I made some mistakes with their instructions, props to them for remaining calm!