You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSB2 - reckless and autocratic as usual

Maximilian Claus 1457258

Maximilian Claus 1457258
Posted
Posted

Also this version behaves kanibalisch opposite other multiplayer plugins. Although no connection to the network was made, XSB blocks the 19 ports for multiplayer aircraft in X-Plane for no reason. Dear friend, your plugin is not the only one in the world! Maybe this recklessness is so common in their part of the world, but I have no sympathy for that.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

This is quite a reckless posting in most parts of the world. What's your problem? If you are unhappy then just create your own pilot client. It's really easy!!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Or ask **why** it was done that way, instead of just [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming the developer did that with the sole intent of screwing with you personally. Maybe a dialogue about what negative effects it has had will spur him to seek other solutions, and foster improvement in the product for you and others to benefit from. It **is** a Beta-test version, after all. Part of the implicit contract in using a Beta product is you HELP the developer identify and correct issues, rather than castigate him for them.

Or, just flip the table and walk away. Mature attitude you've got there, friend.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Maximilian Claus 1457258
Posted
Posted

False patriotism! XSB has been a disturber in the X-Plane community for years. Due to its incompatibler behavior to other plugins it caused for years trouble for users who have XSB as corpse in their plugins folder. This in turn leads to increased support efforts for the developers of other plugins. The plugin LiveTraffic shows that it works in a different way. It also uses the libxplanemp, but has modified it and made it cooperative. It is therefore possible to fit into the X-Plane community and not act like an elephant in the porcelain shop.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Then don't use it. You could even ask for a full refund if you're that dissatisfied.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Also this version behaves kanibalisch opposite other multiplayer plugins. Although no connection to the network was made, XSB blocks the 19 ports for multiplayer aircraft in X-Plane for no reason.

Not actually for no reason, but unfortunately, you've probably missed some of the historical context as to how XSB worked, and unfortunately, that's a remnant from that.

Once upon a time, XSB used MP aircraft slots to render aircraft. Technically speaking, it still can, but to do so it needs to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign aircraft to those slots during startup otherwise the loading hitches would be kinda bad (ACF loading is synchronous. In fact, once upon a time, not so long ago, XSB did all the aircraft loading during startup. It was a lot slower then). Removing that [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption is non-trivial, so it stays until we move to the MP rendering rewrite (targeting XSB 3.0 at the moment, if/when that comes, and even then may not get removed if there's other issues keeping it there).

On top of that, it needs the MP aircraft system to do TCAS right now.

Worse than that, the single-plugin claiming the multiplayer aircraft system is a limitation inherent in X-Plane - there's none of this "we want 4 slots only" business, it's all or nothing. Can't help you there. X-Plane is not FSX/P3D - the integrated traffic/mp system was never designed to handle multiple consumers. It's why the libxplanemp traffic rendering system exists at all - the integrated system is so limited as to be almost useless for online traffic rendering.

XSB does cope now if it gets nothing - it no longer thinks it got the system and fights with whatever actually did (this was actually a long standing bug in libxplanemp I fixed a while ago - I got tired of the "double plane" bug reports). You simply lose all XSB ACF rendering options and XSB TCAS. It also spits a nice warning in the log so when people report bugs to me, I can tell if they've botched that up.

Given that you can trivially disable XSB by moving the plugin directory aside, I consider this such a non-issue that it's not worth wasting the energy on before the existing plane renderer gets ripped out. I'd rather spend my limited time on fixing more important issues, like audio for the Mac users, and any remaining quirks in our aircraft configuration rendering and ground level correction. I'm sure many of the users would appreciate me to focus on fixing what we already have too.

I'm sorry you feel differently, but you're free to use a different client.

Of course, if you have the skills necessary to work on the client, you'd be welcome to contact the necessary people and become a developer, but if you had those skills, I would expected you to have approached this in a substantially more appropriate manner too.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

David Lovell
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all your hard work on XSquawkbox, Christopher.

Matt Mamuzich
Posted
Posted

Wow.. I really dont get people sometimes. Thank you so much for the work you guys do! I believe most of us appreciate you.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Yes, thanks indeed to Christopher! Although I'm with the swift TEAM, it needs to be acknowledged how much work is being invested for free by all those developers, no matter what client/program.