You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PTT configuration

Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I have 2 PC's with FSX and vPilot on one, and the second used mainly to display my maps and flight plan details. I use F12 as the keyboard PTT and I have a button on my yoke set through FSUIPC as a key press for F12. However, this only works when the mouse pointer is on the FSX PC. Is there a configuration that keeps the button press active regardless of where the mouse pointer is ?

Andrew

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Is there a reason you are mapping the yoke button to a keyboard key? vPilot should recognize the yoke button directly.

If for some reason that's not an option, then I'll need you to explain what you mean when you say it only works when the mouse pointer is on the FSX PC. Are you using a KVM switch to share the keyboard and mouse between these two PCs?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply Ross. Yep, I didn't explain that very well.

I used to have the yoke button set directly with vPilot, but I wanted an option to use either the yoke button or a keyboard button. When in the cruise I tend to move my yoke aside and get on with other things but I can use F12 if I get a call from ATC. Hence why I set up the mapping. I don't use a KVM. I use Input Director https://www.inputdirector.com/. If I have the mouse on the FSX PC screen, that as I understand it is the active screen and the PTT button on the yoke or keyboard functions. If I for whatever reason have moved the mouse pointer to the other PC's screen and clicked it, then I believe that screen is then the active screen ie not the FSX PC and as a result the button press on the yoke or keyboard is no longer recognised by vPilot. Does that make more sense ?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does input director also redirect your yoke inputs?

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Input Director does not redirect the yoke inputs. It only sends keypresses or mouse inputs to the other networked PC. The more I think about this, the more I think I am asking the impossible. Bottom line for me I suppose is to just ensure I return the mouse pointer on the FSX PC screen so that remains active and the PTT will always work when needed. I appreciate you taking the time to at least think about this.

Andrew

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I can understand if pressing F12 doesn't work when the active PC is the is on the non-sim PC, because obviously vPilot cannot read keypresses on a machine on which it is not running. However, I don't understand why pressing the yoke button does not work. If the yoke is not redirected by InputDirector, then FSUIPC should always be able to detect the yoke button, even when the sim PC is not the active PC for InputDirector. FSUIPC should then be able to issue the F12 keypress on the sim PC, and vPilot should detect it.

Which PC is running InputDirector? (In other words, which PC has the keyboard and mouse plugged in?)

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Managed to get this sorted out. Your point that the yoke PTT should work regardless of which PC was in focus if using FSUIPC made sense, so realised that if I wanted to use a keyboard keypress as an alternative to the yoke button I needed to set vPilot PTT as a keypress in the first place. I exchanged a few emails with Shane the developer of Input Director and have set up a hot key that sends my chosen keyboard keypress ( F12 ) back from the slave PC to the FSX PC regardless of which PC or screen is active or in focus. So now regardless of whether I use the yoke or the keyboard the PTT button works. Thanks for your input.

Regards

Andrew