You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice bullying

Robbie Suwary

Robbie Suwary
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I am a pilot who has a speech impediment. I just flew out of KSEA, on UNICOM. I've flown on VATSIM for years (over 8000 hrs),and the VP/CTO of a VA. Encountered a few nasty controllers who refuse to even attempt to work with me using voice, however most people will work with me. I usually go by NWA 1999. Just now I was made fun of because of my voice. Im beginning to hate flying on VATSIM, as this has happened twice now (once last week) . I wont even venture internationally as people are usually worse outside of the US. I realize that there is some rude people , but it’s making me wanna give up on my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ion.

Philipp Edlich
Posted
Posted

Hello Robbie,

please report such incidents to the respective Division/vARTCC via their feedback form on the homepage or via mail. Then they can try to talk with the controller and train him. You can also try to call a supervisor via the ".wallop " command in your client. We have these fantastic guys, who will try to help you. Please don't hate VATSIM because of some individuals!

And please be invited to my ATC homebase Berlin Tegel (EDDT), so we can show you that there are excellent controllers outside the US, who will be pleased to offer you service.

| Enroute Controller |

gen.php?img=_13_14_15&cid=1081694

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Did you use .wallop to attempt to summon a Supervisor? It's horrible that you'd encounter such behavior and have to take any action at all, but a .wallop would have a much better chance of successfully addressing the issue than a post here on the forums.

You can also leave feedback on Seattle ARTCC 's website if the rude comments came from a controller, and their management team will address it. But, since you said this occurred on UNICOM I'm not sure whether that applies here.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Robbie, I do hope you will not let a few bad apples spoil your enjoyment of this hobby. Definitely call a supervisor if people on UNICOM are giving you a hard time. And if it's a controller, you can call a supervisor and also contact their ARTCC as Philipp suggested.

As for those controllers that refuse to work with you, they don't know what they're missing. I've had you in my airspace many times in the past, and I can honestly say that you are one of the best pilots on the network. Even with your speech impediment, you still deliver accurate readbacks just as fast or even faster than many other pilots, and you actually fly the plane correctly, as well.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Nickolas Christopher
Posted
Posted
Robbie, I do hope you will not let a few bad apples spoil your enjoyment of this hobby. Definitely call a supervisor if people on UNICOM are giving you a hard time. And if it's a controller, you can call a supervisor and also contact their ARTCC as Philipp suggested.

As for those controllers that refuse to work with you, they don't know what they're missing. I've had you in my airspace many times in the past, and I can honestly say that you are one of the best pilots on the network. Even with your speech impediment, you still deliver accurate readbacks just as fast or even faster than many other pilots, and you actually fly the plane correctly, as well.

+1

Los Angeles ARTCC Air Traffic Manager
VATUSA Division
https://laartcc.org

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

+2. Don’t let the haters get you down. I’m perfectly happy to see NWA1999 on my scope any time!

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Shane VanHoven
Posted
Posted

Their actions are a stronger reflection of their character than it is a reflection of yours. The couples Times I’ve had the pleasure of working you onto my busy final, I’ve noticed that your ability far exceeds the majority of vatsim pilots on the network. I know I can count on you for a timely base turn to hit a gap on the final. That’s more than most pilots can do. Keep up the good work and be sure to report these instances to the respective authority.

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

+2. Don’t let the haters get you down. I’m perfectly happy to see NWA1999 on my scope any time!

+3. I’ve always had great experiences when you’ve flown in ZLA. Hope to see you soon!

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Lee Sacharin
Posted
Posted

+4 (I think). You have also been thru ZME airspace many times over the years. We all begin to recognize regular callsigns and familiar names. As said before, you are certainly welcomed everywhere and encourage to appropriately report anyone, particularly controllers, who behave in a rude or unacceptable fashion. Thanks for speaking up.

Alex Long
Posted
Posted

+5... I've had the pleasure of having you in my airspace as both a pilot and controller. I agree with the statement by Ross 100%, I've had you in my airspace during a busy FNO and you readback as fast, if not, faster than other pilots. Don't let these experiences pull you away from VATSIM. You're welcome to fly wherever I'm controlling anytime.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

And don't forget that even on Unicom you are able to identify the station that is transmitting/has transmitted last!

Also, I expect other members to speak up and report such incidents when they witness them. Bullying only goes as far as the entire group and witnesses in the situation allow, take a stance!!

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted
And don't forget that even on Unicom you are able to identify the station that is transmitting/has transmitted last!

Also, I expect other members to speak up and report such incidents when they witness them. Bullying only goes as far as the entire group and witnesses in the situation allow, take a stance!!

+1 We all have a responsibility to root out this behaviour.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
I wont even venture internationally as people are usually worse outside of the US. I realize that there is some rude people , but it’s making me wanna give up on my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ion.

This isn't accurate at all.

Please do expand your horizons and don't let a few bad apples turn you away.

Visit Southeast Asia too!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
+3. I’ve always had great experiences when you’ve flown in ZLA. Hope to see you soon!

+6 its been a while since I've seen you fly in ZLA but I do remember you as well

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Alex Brown
Posted
Posted

I don't control...just a Pilot, but it is always a pleasure to hear you on frequency Robbie. You keep her in the air my friend. Don't let folks discourage you from doing what you enjoy!

Ben Stevenson
Posted
Posted

Robbie, I've talked to you in CZYZ a few times. Feel free to come fly here any time. Nobody will make fun of you in our FIR. We all know you and know the quality of pilot you are.

0.png

Ben Stevenson

Chief Instructor

Toronto FIR (CZYZ)

torontofir.ca

CZYZ-logo-black.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I've had the pleasure of meeting Robbie in person, and he is inspirational! You're always welcome, anywhere and everywhere!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 4 weeks later...
Joshua Borges
Posted
Posted

+1 for me. I've seen you fly through ZLA a number of times and your one of the best pilots. You fly instructions given without issue. Dont let it bring you down. I know there has been a lack of supervisors online lately, but when they are online make sure you let them know what is going on or send an email. Enjoy your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ion!!

JU of ZLA

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

This should never, never, be tolerated. There is a gentlemen that flies through the Memphis, Atlanta area as well who has a noticeable speech impediment and I always am impressed on how he gets the information correct and without delay. You never hear a controller asking this gentlemen to repeat himself.

VATSIM is an unbelievable offering to all of us and we MUST speak up if we hear something out of the ordinary that warrants attention.

Michael

1.jpg