You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Disconnect Messages Despite Frame Rate >30

Manuel Manigault

• Board of Governors
Manuel Manigault
Posted
Posted

I too am receiving multiple " will automatically disconnect " messages in spite of my FPS being over 30 FPS. On a short 200 nm flight, I received this message three times and was disconnected once. It is very annoying -- especially when my FPS is NOT below 20 FPS.

Manuel Manigault

VP, Americas Region

VATSIM

• Board of Governors
Manuel Manigault
Posted
Posted

I just completed my flight. I received 14 will disconnect messages and was disconnected 4 times including on short final. My FPS were consistently between 25-40 FPS. On occasion it may have dipped below 20. I can guarantee that the average FPS for this flight was well above 20 FPS 00 even on final.

I do agree that if my average during flight was 20 or below that would be an issue. The infrequent times that it dipped below 20 is not enough to cause disconnects. I fly in events and have never had a controller complain about me being too slow. That's because a microsecond below 20FPS when average is between 25-40 FPS will not cause an issue.

If pilots are disconnected during an event in spite of frame rates above 20 FPS, they are going to reconnect -- right on final. Pilots have probably invested 2 hours in the flight after all. That has the potential to cause much more chaos than a very slow pilot

I ask that the logic be given a closer look at. It's way too sensitive. The point of the network is to be immersed in flight -- not staring at a FPS counter worried that I will be disconnected when the vast majority of FPS is in acceptable range. Also at this point in time there is only one simulator geared towards the entertainment community -- XPlane. Perhaps when the new Microsoft Flight Simulator is released, I'll take a look at that.

Manuel Manigault

VP, Americas Region

VATSIM

• Board of Governors
Manuel Manigault
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just completed another flight between 1720z and 1901z. Weather was overcast with drizzle. I saved data for this flight to Data.Txt.

There were 67,275 rows of data. Average FPS was 31.72482366 FPS. 1303 rows were below 20FPS (1.9% of data). In spite of this, I was disconnected five times for low frame rates!

I have a Haswell chip and a GTX1070 GPU. My settings were Visual Effects High(HDR), Texture Quality Medium, Antialiasing 2x SSAA+FXAA.

I don't consider my system low end. Is it top of the line in 2020 -- probably not. I shouldn't have to plan my flights for clear and sunny to risk not being disconnected for low frame rates.

I'll email the data.txt file to you, Justin, if you wish to take a look.

Edited by Guest

Manuel Manigault

VP, Americas Region

VATSIM

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Sure, send me your Data.txt file and I'll have a look.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

• Board of Governors
Manuel Manigault
Posted
Posted

Just sent. It's a 6mb file, so I am not sure if it will be blocked. If you don't receive it let me know.

Manuel Manigault

VP, Americas Region

VATSIM

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Manuel. I received it and will get back with you after I review it.

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

• Board of Governors
Manuel Manigault
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the prompt review of my spreadsheet, Justin! I corrected my post above about the number of problem rows. Excel did not sort properly the first time. There were actually 1303 rows below 20 FPS (1.9% of total). Unfortunately most of these were during the descent into cloud cover and while I was looking at charts. Perhaps multitasking while flying is negatively affecting performance. I'll continue to make adjustments and will probably try one of the recommended scripts.

Manuel Manigault

VP, Americas Region

VATSIM

Tom Dowd
Posted
Posted

I am doing a flight from Vagar to EDI in the flight factor A320. Frame rates always above 30 fps, yet it keeps disconnecting me

Scott DeWoody
Posted
Posted

If VATSIM does nothing to remedy this situation, VATSIM will loose a ton of X Plane users. As a controller, I have not noticed any difference between planes, I couldn't tell you what sim they are using. This network is supposed to be for learning and entertainment, and xplane users are definitely NOT being entertained.

Scott DeWoody

CEO - American Virtual Airlines

joinava dot org

y572_1.jpg

• Board of Governors
Manuel Manigault
Posted
Posted

Figured out my issue. I was concentrating so much on XPlane Graphic Settings I forgot about Nvidia Control Panel. Settings there were overriding XPlane's. I had my AA set in Nvidia Control Panel on 16x. Once I turned control of some settings to XPlane, I was able to fly with only two disconnects while on the ground and with a few warnings. 407 out of 65337 lines were below 20FPS (.69%).

My average FPS was 34.8. Weather was better today than yesterday which helped. I notice that I ran into problems when checking charts, looking at Skyvector, reading the airplane manual. Multi tasking outside of the sim did have a negative effect on FPS.

I'm relieved that I found, more than likely, the root cause (which was due to me and not XPilot).

Manuel Manigault

VP, Americas Region

VATSIM

Devanir Campos 1265765
Posted
Posted

Hello Everyone.

I just returned to flying online yesterday after the holidays, and updated to version 1.1.9.1 (from 1.1.6) and was caught by surprise by a disconnect also.

My flight was kept above 30 fps pretty much the whole way. Maybe on occasions (clouds and on final approach into ATL with heavy traffic) I saw it dropping to 24 ~ 25 but never below 20.

I believe XPilot is somehow misreading this variable. I know how important it is to have everyone flying at 1x sim rate, but if the function is not working properly, perhaps it should be disabled until further testing.

Thanks.

Daniel Dezulier
Posted
Posted
Hello Everyone.

I just returned to flying online yesterday after the holidays, and updated to version 1.1.9.1 (from 1.1.6) and was caught by surprise by a disconnect also.

My flight was kept above 30 fps pretty much the whole way. Maybe on occasions (clouds and on final approach into ATL with heavy traffic) I saw it dropping to 24 ~ 25 but never below 20.

I believe XPilot is somehow misreading this variable. I know how important it is to have everyone flying at 1x sim rate, but if the function is not working properly, perhaps it should be disabled until further testing.

Thanks.

Hello, I wrote a Lua script to figure out how FPS varies and to count variation and display them. It also computes and count FPS drops under 20FPS that last for more than 30 seconds. xPilot displays at which time your sim begin to slow under limit and at which time it recovers. You ll may compare with this third party script and report to xPilot developer if needed.

Hope it'll help.

I use 3jFPS Wizzard in conjunction, which help proving the right calculation in my script and will help to confirm that sometimes there are abnormal disconnection, and I hope, help its developer to fix its code.

The last version of script is there : https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/57200-check_fpslua/