You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best answer to give way message

Roger Dubuc

Roger Dubuc
Posted
Posted

I'm fairly new to Vatsim and during my last flight, while taxiing, an other pilote gave way to my a/c. I heard him on the radio and then the atc relayed the message to me but i didn't know what to answer to acknowledge the relayed message. My first thought was to say thank you but I know it's not the right answer. What would be the correct readback to" ROU1563, pilot of DALxxxx is giving way..." ?

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

"Roger" would be the simplest answer.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If it's not an instruction, but purely informational, with rare exception there's normally nothing much for you to read back.

Given that it was a pseudo traffic point-out, you could maybe have said "we have him in sight, {your callsign}." Otherwise, "Roger, {your callsign}" was pretty much all that would've been expected.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Roger Dubuc
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your answers, it makes sense!

Roger

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

To be absolutely and completely pedantic, I would read back that "giving way to xxx, [callsign]." that way the controller has your readback and understands which aircraft you are giving way to.

After that, a simple "wilco, [callsign]" would work. I honestly wouldn't reply with "Roger" in this case, because "roger" means that you've heard and received the transmission to you, not that you will be complying with the instructions given.

Now, that said as well, I'd be the type to inject a little bit of humor into it. "All right, I'll bow my head in shame and give way to the xxx as they stick their tongue out at us and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] us by.. No, seriously, we'll give way to them, [callsign]."

But in all honesty and trying to stay professional, a full readback or a wilco would be sufficient here, instead of Roger.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
To be absolutely and completely pedantic, I would read back that "giving way to xxx, [callsign]." that way the controller has your readback and understands which aircraft you are giving way to.

After that, a simple "wilco, [callsign]" would work. I honestly wouldn't reply with "Roger" in this case, because "roger" means that you've heard and received the transmission to you, not that you will be complying with the instructions given.

... except that in the OP's example, another aircraft was told to give way to him, and the controller was simply advising him of that.

Otherwise, though, it's good advice -- if you're instructed to give way, you read back that instruction.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

As I understand it, no instructions were given to ROU1563, only information. So I would not reply with "wilco", but "roger".

"Roger" means I've understood the information given, "Wilco" means I have to take some action (give way, stop etc), which is not the case here (if I've understood the situation correctly)

Torben

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)