You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flight sim

Bruno Lindenblatt

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted

Hey so after a long break from this world I’d like to come back. I used to fly using fs9, but I see a new sim is coming out and my question is will vatsim have a client that’s compatible with it farely soon? If not what would you guys recommend for a sim now a days, xplane or fsx?

Sry if these have been asked many times already.

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Hi Bruno! Welcome back.

If you are going to move on from FS9, you will be spending some.

Existing FSX is rapidly being abandoned as a platform by add-on developers, so I would not recommend spending on it.

Prepar3d v4, DCS and Xplane are the current mainstream simulators. Prepar3D is more expensive than Xplane but, in my opinion, offers a more comprehensive simulator. Xplane could prove appropriate for you, but your choices will depend on the type of flying you wish to do. I have no experience of DCS.

We are promised the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MFS) during 2020. Most viewers see this sim as a major step forward in graphics, flight modeling capabilities and sound quality. It is a good bet that it will support existing Prepar3D add-ons fairly broadly, but will also add an enhanced software development kit to enable add-on developers to greatly enhance their products. I expect the new MFS to become the future market leader.

I cannot foresee Xplane add-ons becoming MFS compatible in the future, so it may remain a separate sim in the long run.

VATSIM has also been developed a great deal in recent times. A recent improvement in voice communications technologies has eased voice comms.

I recommend that you investigate these products in some detail. Asking questions on forums will also get you more detailed answers to your questions. Keeping your expenditure within budget will also influence your choices.

Whichever route you choose, I hope that your return to flying is very rewarding.

Cheers, Richard

You are the music, until the music stops. T.S.Eliot

Daniel Dezulier
Posted
Posted

Just know that P3D does not seem to be continued.

less than 26000 airports,

X-Plane is preparing its graphic evolution with Vulkan to replace OpenGL.

As it is an open community, there are more than 38k airports available and more than 28k with 3D objects.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

less than 26000 airports,

X-Plane is preparing its graphic evolution with Vulkan to replace OpenGL.

As it is an open community, there are more than 38k airports available and more than 28k with 3D objects.

Why would you say that P3D is "not continued"?

P3D v4.5 had a hotfix released for it 4 months ago, and that was just for the native components within it. And I wouldn't say that the number of airports available for it is any indication of support or continued development of any product. And seeing that P3D is used in a lot of training and STEM environments, it is safe to say that it and the continual support of it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

In short, number of 3rd-party sceneries != support of a product. If it did, then FS9 is still "supported", as there are sceneries still being released for it, despite Microsoft abandoning it 13 years ago.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted
Hi Bruno! Welcome back.

If you are going to move on from FS9, you will be spending some.

Existing FSX is rapidly being abandoned as a platform by add-on developers, so I would not recommend spending on it.

Prepar3d v4, DCS and Xplane are the current mainstream simulators. Prepar3D is more expensive than Xplane but, in my opinion, offers a more comprehensive simulator. Xplane could prove appropriate for you, but your choices will depend on the type of flying you wish to do. I have no experience of DCS.

We are promised the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MFS) during 2020. Most viewers see this sim as a major step forward in graphics, flight modeling capabilities and sound quality. It is a good bet that it will support existing Prepar3D add-ons fairly broadly, but will also add an enhanced software development kit to enable add-on developers to greatly enhance their products. I expect the new MFS to become the future market leader.

I cannot foresee Xplane add-ons becoming MFS compatible in the future, so it may remain a separate sim in the long run.

VATSIM has also been developed a great deal in recent times. A recent improvement in voice communications technologies has eased voice comms.

I recommend that you investigate these products in some detail. Asking questions on forums will also get you more detailed answers to your questions. Keeping your expenditure within budget will also influence your choices.

Whichever route you choose, I hope that your return to flying is very rewarding.

Thx for that man!

I had my fs9 pretty well loaded up with payware everything lol I’m thinkin bout waiting until 2020 sum is out, I’m in no rush but do miss it badly.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

In addition to Brad's comment, there are snippets of seemingly real info out there that P3D v5.0 is in beta.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Bruno Lindenblatt
Posted
Posted

In addition to Brad's comment, there are snippets of seemingly real info out there that P3D v5.0 is in beta.

I’ve never used anything other then Microsoft product. I never even looked into it, maybe I’ll do some deep research it’s just one of those things where I’d like to pick one, and buy everything I need in addons and pay ware and be on my way.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

There's no reason you can't still use FS9 until the new version drops and you can make a buying decision. Swift is an actively supported pilot client that is still compatible with it. It's a bit complex to set up and configure, but, it has a great community here (look under "Members Helping Members" and "Pilot Software") as well as on Discord.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
There's no reason you can't still use FS9 until the new version drops and you can make a buying decision. Swift is an actively supported pilot client that is still compatible with it. It's a bit complex to set up and configure, but, it has a great community here (look under "Members Helping Members" and "Pilot Software") as well as on Discord.

Other than the lack of (new) addons, FS9 runs fine.

Though those addon aircraft are part of why people upgrade their sims. PMDG aren't currently selling FS9 products (even their old 747 and 737 aren't on the website anymore)

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Thank you Robert! FS9 runs great thanks to you all including us.

Michael

1.jpg