You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xPilot should override "Contact ATC" command in X-Plane

Justin Snapp

Justin Snapp
Posted
Posted

Please make xPIlot override the Contact ATC command when connected to VATSIM in x-plane. PilotEdge does this and PilotEdge uses the "Contact ATC" command as its push to talk trigger. Thus for people that want to use stock ATC, PE ATC, and to NOT have stock ATC window pop up when talking to VATSIM ATC with xPilot this would be ideal.

As a PE user, I find now with xPilot that I have to unmap this command manually when on Vatsim, and then when I get on PE I transmit once or twice before remembering I have unmapped this command to my push to talk button on my yoke. DOH!

The command is:

sim/operation/contact_atc

Relevant info about override commands is in this docomeent in the SDK...

https://developer.x-plane.com/sdk/XPLMUtilities/

You of course would want to intercept and override the command in the before phase with a "do nothing" handler.

XPLMCommandRef *contactATCcommand = XPLMFindCommand("sim/operation/contact_atc"); 

typedef int (* XPLMCommandCallback_f)(
                        XPLMCommandRef       inCommand,    
                        XPLMCommandPhase     inPhase,    
                        void *               inRefcon);  

XPLM_API void       XPLMRegisterCommandHandler(
                        XPLMCommandRef       inComand,    
                        XPLMCommandCallback_f inHandler,    
                        int                  inBefore,    
                        void *               inRefcon);  

Thank you in advance SO MUCH for doing this. Love the great progress on the xPilot plugin.

Ned Torbin
Posted
Posted

Yes, this would be really nice not having to switch X-Plane functions when using Vatsim.

• 1 year later...
David Chambers
Posted
Posted

It would be helpful to not have to change any settings when swapping between VATSIM and Pilotedge. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, so I quite like to be able to use both.

There is already a configuration option that appears to do this. It's not stated in the Release notes when this was introduced. The instruction manual mentions it, but it is not expressed in a way that I clearly understand it. So if I do use/swap between both networks, what happens if I tick this box? Can I still use the same joystick button for PTT in both environments (which is what I want)?

Manual extract:

Override “Contact ATC” Command
If enabled, xPilot will ignore the default “Contact ATC” command. This is useful for PilotEdge users so they do not have to manually un-map this command when using VATSIM.