You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Connect xPilot to hostname or ip address

Jan Haensli 1083680

Jan Haensli 1083680
Posted
Posted

Hi there

Thanks for this great VATSIM client for X-Plane!

Is it possible to configure an ip address/hostname as VATSIM server? Currently, as I understand, the server has to be chosen from a list retrieved from the net.

Before xPilot, I was using XSquawkbox where I could set the server address to a host which then connected to a VATSIM server (kind of a proxy). Thus I was able to log/intercept/filter the messages/packets etc.

Writing the ip address in a config file would be ok too, but I could not find where/if an ip address can be set.

Thanks

Jan Haensli 1083680
Posted
Posted
Have you tried using the towerview dot command? http://xpilot.clowd.io/docs#dot-commands

Thanks Justin

Unfortunately, if I connect using the towerview dot command I am seen as a ATC controller, not a pilot/aircraft by the VATSIM network:

- VatMap and other apps don't show aircraft icon

- Info box shows controller info instead of pilot info

- VATSIM does not accept frequency change set by X-Plane anymore (freq=199.998)

Any other ideas, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jan

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a network setup that where you want a slave and master copy of xPilot running (i.e. one copy drives the voice communications while the other manages the traffic)?

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Jan Haensli 1083680
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin

I have written a software (Vatshield) which acts as a proxy to Vatsim. The software can filter aicraft positions and chat messages.

Thus it enables video live streamers to stop (=filter) stalkers and har[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ments.

In order to make this work with xPilot too, the xPilot user needs to set the IP adress or hostname of the proxy (Vatshield).

Vatshield will then connect to Vastim network and will filter the Vatsim network traffic based on rules.

Thanks

Jan