You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Going on-line problem

Clive Kent 845319

Clive Kent 845319
Posted
Posted

Hi as a beginner at on-line flying I have installed the relevant software and managed to get connected ok sqauacking Standby.

On connection and having ticked Roger Wilco voice I get the "bing bong" chime and voice client tells me I have joined the session. After that allI see in the Squawkbox window is text messages to/from other pilots, should I be hearing these as voice messages through my headset?

Also when I leave the session and start closing things down there is a box with the message:Your callsign was not found. You must log in on a vatsim server before joining a voice channel. Have I missed doing something?

Lauri Matikainen 884852
Posted
Posted

Hi

On connection and having ticked Roger Wilco voice

Roger Wilco is an outdated client in VATSIM (and forbidden if I remember correctly). You should use AVC (Advanced Voice Client) instead of it, downloadable from here.

After that allI see in the Squawkbox window is text messages to/from other pilots, should I be hearing these as voice messages through my headset?

You shouldn´t hear text messages as voice through your headset, unless someone is really repeating his text message also in voice.. this might happen on UNICOM frequency when people might report their situation and intendings with both text and voice.

Also when I leave the session and start closing things down there is a box with the message:Your callsign was not found. You must log in on a vatsim server before joining a voice channel.

This happens also to me with AVC when I have left the session. I think it´s some kind of bug..

Hope this cleared your mind

16.png

Clive Kent 845319
Posted
Posted

Hi Lauri yes I have got AVC loaded it's probably me not explaining the situation properly. The box I ticked was the Use Roger Wilco Voice one that is in the window titled Connect To PC/SB Server which appears after you select "connect" from the Squawkbox drop down menu, thats the one with the red aircraft silhouette on it . I did this as I was following some on line flying instructions that I have. Should I in fact be leaving this box un-ticked?

Just to re-cap then at the time I was connected I was seeing text only messages because no-one was using voice and don't worry about the other box I see on close down.

When I am next connected as a newbie observer is there any way that I can check that my headset and mike are working without upsetting anyone?

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

"Roger Wilco Voice" must be checked (as you say ticked) in Squawkbox to use voice.

Note that if you have select freq. UNICOM 122.8 usally no one speak with voice, just text.

> any way that I can check that my headset and mike are working without upsetting anyone?

No problem. Write a FligthPlan in Squawkbox, write "Observe" instead of the route, In Remark write "Newbie".

Park where there are ATC (look in ServInfo or Vatsim Visual Display).

Select a ATC freq. in Squawkbox Directory by double-click.

Send first by text and speak with text to ATC.

Just ask then that you want to test your voice-system.

> AVC: "You must log in on a vatsim server before joining a voice channel."

I don't think it is a bug. You do must log in on a vatsim server before joining a voice channel.

Else AVC don't accept you to connect to a voice-server.

Callsignal must be correct in FS, and the same callsignal in AVC. As well AVC "Authorization Server" must be connected to Vatsim.

Make sure you have read PRC http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=774#774

Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Clive Kent 845319
Posted
Posted

Hi Lennart

I will give all that a try many thanks for your help

Clive