You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Assigning STARS in the UK area

David Cross

David Cross
Posted
Posted

Hello. I'm not new to Online flying, but I am new to flying online overseas. I'm very comfortable with USA operations and how the airspace works. I made my first attempt at a Vatsim event overseas. It was a lot of fun and the controllers were very nice and patient with this new guy. I didn't understand the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned star, so I requested vectors to final. I have a Navigraph chart subscription and current nav data. Here is the scenario. I was flying into LFPG ( Paris ) The Center controller [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned me a STAR which I couldn't find. I requested he text me the STAR name, which he did. The star he texted was "BIBAX-W". So I'm like okay, I'll look it up. Well it didn't exist. The only STARs which were close were named BIBA8 with a letter at the end which could of been a D, E, or P etc... So in a panic I didn't know which one of those would apply. So I was vectored. So now looking back, I guess he was saying use "BIBA8W"?? The last Waypoint on my filed flight plan was BIBAX. So it would make sense to use BIBA8W I guess. So I guess my question is, why didn't he text me the actual name of the STAR? I'm sure this is common, but it was my first time, and I want to be better informed for my next overseas adventure. Thanks to those who provided ATC today. It was a blast with all the foreign accents and in some cases some people were talking in their native languages. Really made it immersive. I will be doing more.

Thanks,

Dave.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave,

take a look at your Jeppesen/Navigraph charts: alongside with the full name of the STAR you'll find the FMS coding in brackets, in your case BIBAX 8W [bIBA8W].

The reason for this is that the number of characters and digits is limited to six due to FMS-coding, it's an ancient protocol...

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

We live in modern times, with restricted characters on our simulated 1980s computer architecture.

Navigraph has a filtering feature on top of the list of charts for your selected aerodrome, so with some of those endless STAR-lists for certain European airports, just start typing in the first few letters there and it'll filter down to only relevant charts.

Like so: https://i.imgur.com/utbrEEW.png

In Europe, most of the time , your STAR will be named as the last point on your route plus the number-letter identifier. Exceptions exist, like here in the UK where you still find some named after the holding stack they lead to (Like BNN arrivals to EGLL), but thankfully they're now in the process of replacing those.

David Cross
Posted
Posted

Ah. Very interesting!. Thank you both for your explanations. That does help.

Dave

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
In Europe, most of the time , your STAR will be named as the last point on your route plus the number-letter identifier.

I had to read this twice, because on the first attempt I read "will be named as the last point on your STAR route"

To re-phrase it: in most European countries STARs are named after the points where they begin, not where they terminate.

One hint for your flights to German airports: by standard, when both "STARs" and "RNAV Transitions" exist (e.g. EDDF Frankfurt "UNOKO 2G STAR" vs. "UNOKO25N Transition"), always expect and use an RNAV Transition.

David Cross
Posted
Posted
In Europe, most of the time , your STAR will be named as the last point on your route plus the number-letter identifier.

I had to read this twice, because on the first attempt I read "will be named as the last point on your STAR route"

To re-phrase it: in most European countries STARs are named after the points where they begin, not where they terminate.

One hint for your flights to German airports: by standard, when both "STARs" and "RNAV Transitions" exist (e.g. EDDF Frankfurt "UNOKO 2G STAR" vs. "UNOKO25N Transition"), always expect and use an RNAV Transition.

Thanks. That would of really confused me lol. I copied that into my notes. Thanks.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

You were flying into LFPG and then ask about STARs in UK?

ACH2118.jpg

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

Hello, yes I am late and perhaps a bit harsh on OP, sorry for both. But just wondering where the UK came from.

ACH2118.jpg