You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim Search & Rescue Mission

Kris Greenough 974599

Kris Greenough 974599
Posted
Posted

Anyone interested in doing a serach and rescue mission witht he help of ATC? I'm not sure how this would go, but lets say a DC-3 played by somebody does an emergency landing somewhere out in NV. Maybe the plane has radio failure or something in the process? The point of the excersize is that is only a minimal amount of information available and people have to be rescued so this means helicopters people.

Sounds like it could be a fun event so long as people don't ues the visual tool to see where the person is. Anyone interested?

- kris

Matthew Koscielski 953572
Posted
Posted

Kris sounds like a good plan. We'd have to check the rules first on emergency procedures and the Vatsim guidelines on such. I'll check with my Events Coord at ZMP and see what he thinks and check on the rules for emergencies. Cause I do know there are some in effect because of past real airline disasters (ie: Sept 11). but I do like the idea, send me an email through ZMP'z site www.zmp.vatusa.org and i'll see what we can do.

REV. MATTHEW "THE DRAGON" KOSCIELSKI

ZMP Deputy Events Coordinator (Ret.)

STUDENT-3

http://www.mmstormchasing.com

matthewthedragon.png

Jim Johnson 814050
Posted
Posted

From a Supervisor's perspective, as long as you aren't replicating a real crash and as long as the ARTCC involved is ok with it I don't see a problem.

Jim Johnson

VP - Membership (VATGOV12)

j.johnson(at)vatsim.net

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Join a Spec Ops VA

Posted
Posted
From a Supervisor's perspective, as long as you aren't replicating a real crash and as long as the ARTCC involved is ok with it I don't see a problem.

Jim bascly answered the question I was looking into. Thanks Jim

STUDENT-3

matthewthedragon.png

Kris Greenough 974599
Posted
Posted

Nothing like a real crash. Just a plane touches down in the middle of nowhere and a team effort ensues to find and rescue it.

- Kris

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted

If the Civil Air Patrol (in real life) was doing this, we would call it a SAREX.

I did it just last night. I was the Mission Observer on a training flight looking for a training ELT (121.775 MHz is the proper training freq now) that one of our ground teams placed for us to locate.

We got within about a 1/4 mile

$mypvtrw() $radio()

{Name/Rank Not Allowed...See ServInfo and try not to crash}

{METAR Not allowed...Crash while checking Servinfo}

{No Other Info available...Excuse: No Bandwidth}

Mat Lawrence 965555
Posted
Posted

As long as nobody cheats with ServInfo to see where the person is

Carlos Perea 934840
Posted
Posted

I'm willing to fly the downed aircraft.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
As long as nobody cheats with ServInfo to see where the person is

An interesting way to do this would be to have someone create a simple scenery file which has an aircraft on the ground somewhere. Then you could distribute the scenery to anyone involved in the SAREX. That way the aircraft wouldn't show up on radar or on servinfo.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted

Hm... how do you simulate DF'ing an ELT? Yes, I know Abacus has a CAP airplane and I wish it was a different vendor that made better airplanes, but oh well. I'm told that the Abacus CAP plane has a DF unit in it, but, again... in VATSIM how do you DF someone else?

Chris--I so much like RW flying for CAP better

$mypvtrw() $radio()

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hm... how do you simulate DF'ing an ELT? Yes, I know Abacus has a CAP airplane and I wish it was a different vendor that made better airplanes, but oh well. I'm told that the Abacus CAP plane has a DF unit in it, but, again... in VATSIM how do you DF someone else?

Good question ... if you used the scenery idea, you could always put an NDB at the crash site, and use the ADF for direction finding.

Chris--I so much like RW flying for CAP better

I would imagine any real world pilot would say that real world flying is better than virtual.

Speaking of SAREX ... I need to be up in 8 hours to for a CAP training mission ... taking the gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] cockpit 182 ... should be a fun one! Time for some sleep.

Jim Albertson 812206
Posted
Posted

At the risk of sounding simpleminded, why not create a small scenery file, then do a grid search. You can either do a full grid or quarter grids. Then call in a helo to rescue the downed crew using only the coordinates from the GPS unit in the C-172. The helo would have to use the coordinates to find the helo , perhaps with a High Bird to guide him in.

Kris Greenough 974599
Posted
Posted

This really sounds like a fun operation. I think the scenery file is probably the way to go down the road but for now and for the sake of simplicity a vouleteer to play a downed pilot is the way to go. Next question:

1) Where should we do this?

2) We should probably use the likes of ventrillio to communicate unless ATC is cool with us using a frequency.

3) When? This could convievably take a very long time. So plan accordingly.

4) What should the downed aircraft be? I'm thinking the voulenteer should get to pick and file his own flight plan.

Lets do this. Sound like fun.

- Kris

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted
This really sounds like a fun operation. I think the scenery file is probably the way to go down the road but for now and for the sake of simplicity a vouleteer to play a downed pilot is the way to go. Next question:

1) Where should we do this?

2) We should probably use the likes of ventrillio to communicate unless ATC is cool with us using a frequency.

3) When? This could convievably take a very long time. So plan accordingly.

4) What should the downed aircraft be? I'm thinking the voulenteer should get to pick and file his own flight plan.

Lets do this. Sound like fun.

- Kris

1) KZOB Cleveland ARTCC (insert shameless plug here)

2) Either Ventrillo or Teamspeak would work.

3) Schedule it with an ATC (I am available until the 23rd).

4) A Cirrus SR22 after deploying a parachute. That would make it most realistic.

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Posted
Posted

I know many a ARTCC's have great area's for a down a/c. ZMP (my plug) has many a forests and lakes in northern Minesota. Colorado, the mountains. Death Valley, the list is endless. As for a freq. to use. Probably [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign an temp emergency one. Or use guard. I know i wouldn't have a problem as an ATCer with using a freq. Just need to plan where to host it.

STUDENT-3

matthewthedragon.png

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted
Or use guard.

One word: Don't.

Use of 121.5 is STRONGLY discouraged on VATSIM because any traffic on that frequency is an automatic broadcast to all users, if I understand the technical side correctly.

$mypvtrw() $radio()

Chris Striker 969621
Posted
Posted

Using guard (121.500) would be a bad idea. the alternate could be using teh CAp practice beacon freq of 121.775 . the other problem would be the banners above planes so we know whos who. i know these can be removed but again we could have a person leave it on as in cheating. another idea would be have everyone intrested in that kind of situation, join a CAP organiziation on VATSIM, and have a MOU like the Virtual military forces and keep it under civilian government side under the direction of the vUSAF as in real life. or maybe create a SUB SERVER on VATSIM just for this type of thing and for SAREXs and actual SAR missions.

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

You guys are working very hard to do what we do almost every day. We are 100% VATSIM compliant, which is very important so that no rules are broken on VATSIM.

www.vuscg.org

Kyle Ramsey

vCommandant, VUSCG

www.vuscg.org

Kyle Ramsey

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Kyle, does the vUSCG do inland SAR?

Kyle Ramsey 810181
Posted
Posted

Yes, some, usually near coastal areas and mountain ranges. We also fly inland SAR for other VSOA groups during joint exercises.

Kyle Ramsey

vCommandant, VUSCG

www.vuscg.org

Kyle Ramsey

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted (edited)
join a CAP organiziation on VATSIM

This is highly unlikely because CAP has been publicly against such an organization to date. For more info on that, check the VA/SOA forums around. It's an unfortunate thing, but that's the way it is.

Edited by Guest

$mypvtrw() $radio()

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Personally I think someone should create a new CAP-like organization for VATSIM. Use a unique name, unique paint schemes for the aircraft, etc., but still use the same procedures.

Chris Gauthier 895085
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I wish CAP would just get off their high-horses and let a group establish a respectable vCAP. I completely understand the hesitation by the National Board, but I'd rather see them do something like this that could be used as a recruiting tool than to screw around (again) with the "new" corporate uniform. Jeez... they amended it yet again very recently. Since I don't meet the AF weight standards, it's not such a big deal to me, though.

Chris

$mypvtrw() $radio()