You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I don't understand VFR outside USA

Dino Norrman

Dino Norrman
Posted
Posted

Flying VFR in USA is very simple. You just take off and go! I wish it was the same in Europe, but it seems to not be the case. I've been trying to find information without success. How do I fly VFR in Europe and how does it differ from USA?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Dino,

Europe is not thaaaaaat complicated. I suggest you start off in one country and get used to it there. Maybe the UK? Germany is quite active, too. In general our VFR transponder code is 7000, that's what you'll have to set for all your VFR flights unless ATC [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igns something different to you, obviously.

There's more information in this thread: https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=23404

Within the thread there's a link to Norbert's "Euro Primer": http://www.vorstaedt.de/eurprimer.html

I think that's a pretty good start for your flying. Basically you do need to call ATC for clearance into controlled airspace (CHARLIE and DELTA) only, but you can ask CTR for "flight information services", although the may deny it when they are too busy with IFR traffic. Just give it a go!

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Hey Dino,

Can I suggest that it isn’t so much whether you are VFR or IFR, it is more about the Airspace you are in.

That is; a VFR acft outside controlled airspace can indeed depart without a clearance, but not within controlled airspace.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• 5 weeks later...
Kim de Winter
Posted
Posted

Hey friend!

Every country has their own procedures. Best bet is to learn one country at a time, and go to the local VACC website, and read through their VFR briefing material if they have it. Useful to know is that our standard VFR transponder code tends to be 7000.

A good option is to find a very quiet TWR with like, 1 plane or something. They have all time in the world to help you and explain any things you couldn't figure out through their website's briefings. Stay away from events for sure. Also consider that people tend to like flying in the UK because it's busy there, but it also means controllers don't have as much spare time to help you.

You're always welcome to come learn to fly VFR at EHAM if I'm controlling the TWR there. We tend to relish the chance to handle VFR traffic because it's rare, but a part of our TWR exams. Just mention you're new to it and ask if you don't understand something, and read this: https://www.dutchvacc.nl/eham-amsterdam-airport-schiphol/ (it also helps to have google maps open on another screen in case you need to fly to some town you don't recognize)

Have fun!

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately Dino has not returned to the forums yet, so our responses here were quite useless...

This was last time I visited the board: 06 Mar 2020 22:04
I mean, if you don't come back to check for replies, what's the point of posting?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I'd say maybe answering anyway might help someone in the future who might have the same question... but many of them will just post a new topic... lol

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kim de Winter
Posted
Posted

Ah. Pity.

Though Robert has a point, in that it could help others in the future. For everyone who makes a new thread, there's probably 5 others who get the information from pre-existing threads they found through the search function.

• Like 1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Yes, that went through my mind as well. Until my local ATC organization simply replaced its long-established forum last summer and all the information that we had collected there, was lost. I am not sure whether they have already had time to load the content into the new forum yet, but they had other priorities, that weighed more.