You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS9 text and PTT key question using Swift

Scott D. Williams

Scott D. Williams
Posted
Posted

I successfully flew my first flight using FS9 and Swift. I have not been able to select a PTT key however. After selecting a key from the menu and clicking OK it is not working.

In addition, when I went to send a text msg in lieu of a voice transmission I realized I did not know how to "send" it. I saw no "send" function as in old Squawk box.

These seem elementary I know but can someone [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist me on these questions? Thank you.

Scott D. Williams

KMEM

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Scott,

I have created a number of tutorial videos, maybe they'll help you:

Hotkeys:

When you want to send a text message on an ATC channel you just select the TAB of that channel, for example COM1, then enter your text in the text entry line just above all the function keys/widgets of swift and when you are ready to "send" you just hit your ENTER/RETURN key on your keyboard.

Let us know how it went.

Scott D. Williams
Posted
Posted

Ah, thank you Andreas! That solved the text problem immediately, I had not been clicking the tab before depressing the enter function.

I am reviewing the tutorial for the PTT, thank you. I do like Swift as I become more familiar with it each day. The audio is quite clear and crisp.

Scott D. Williams

KMEM

Scott D. Williams
Posted
Posted

I enabled PTT following your tutorial, thank you Andreas! I had overlooked clicking on voice in the set up process for some reason but the tutorial redirected me. Ironically, I had gone through that tutorial before but simply missed a step. Thank you.

Scott D. Williams

KMEM

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Scott,

good news! I'm glad that you could solve both of your problems!

I suggest you check out the other parts of the tutorials to optimize your aircraft model set and in the near future we'll see swift version 0.9.4 as Alpha download.

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

First time I used FS9/SWIFT online in a flight. It is going to get used to it after using squawkbox forever.I have to say not bad for my first flight. I still have to figure out how to set up a private chat.

I noticed that when the GUI is in front of me i loose the aircraft sound,have to minimize GUI to hear the aircraft.

Is there a sound or something that lets you know that somebody has send a text on Unicom.

Thanks,Nebojsa

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

To start a private chat with a person within your range (ATC list or Aircraft list) you can right click on the requested member and then use the context menu to start a private chat.

If outside your range, type into the entry-line .msg CALLSIGN TEXT, e.g. .msg DLH123 Hi there

• 2 weeks later...
Piotr Nowak 855807
Posted
Posted

I noticed that when the GUI is in front of me i loose the aircraft sound,have to minimize GUI to hear the aircraft.

Is there a sound or something that lets you know that somebody has send a text on Unicom.

Thanks,Nebojsa

I have the same problems.

First of all, after opening the GUI there is no sound from the plane.

Secondly, there is a sound informing you that a message has arrived and how to set the automatic opening of the message as it was in SB?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Piotr,

this is not a limitation of swift, but a software limitation of FS9: when you change focus away from FS9, the sound goes until you focus again on FS9. It has been like this all the time. Only when you have a program that is embedded within FS9, will you not suffer from this problem.

There is one possible way around it: in case that you own a second computer/notebook with Win 7 or higher, you could use that secondary computer to run and display swiftGUI. This is called "distributed mode". This way you would not need to take your focus away from FS9 on your primary computer when replying to a text message in swift etc..

Piotr Nowak 855807
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the fast reponse. Unfortunately, I have to consider it a limitation of swift, because in the old SB it somehow worked.

Piotr Nowak 855807
Posted
Posted

Yes, that's true and it had all the advantages, and here it is a disadvantage.