You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot gradually works heavier and slower - and freezes

Tommy Engman

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

Hallo.

Ever since I got back to Vatsim with the next to latest version of vPilot this application acts the same way when getting to (or starting at) an airport with lots of traffic: When descending for landing the CPU load gets heavier until it freezes. But the same happens when I just sit connecting at this busy airport (EGLL): vPilot starts with a load of say 2% of the CPU load. When connected it gradually gets heavier on the CPU without any action on my part, just sitting and observing.

Strangely the load from vPilot remains even if I disconnect. After about five minutes it freezes, or even disconnects.

Does anywone have an explanation, and even a solution, for this?

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What version of vPilot? You said "next to latest version" but I need to know the exact version number.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

Hi. Thanks for replying.

My current version of vPilot is 2.4.5. I had the same problem of freeze (heavier and heavier load, freeze on base turn into EGLL 09L, as well as on an earlier flight into 27L where I had to go around since TWR couldn't give clearance, and I cut vPilot with TaskManager, restart etc and thengot back in contack with ATC, but vPilot freezes again!).

But I have tested vPilot numerous times after uninstalling and reinstalling with and without Administrator rights (which seems to be an issue only with sound?).

This it what has happened at least eight times at Gate 405 EGLL:

Starting vPilot - all OK.

Connecting vPilot - all OK. No error messages. Tables of ATC filling, aircraft in liveries all around far and close. Only strange thing is that a number of aircraft, but not all, disappear and reappear flickeringly. One of the last last times vPilot asked me to reconnect to another server due to many simultaneous connections.

What happens is that from say 6% percent of load on the CPU (FSX-SE already at its' steady 29-ish percent of CPU load) vPilots load increases steadily so that over five minutes it reaches 30-32% of the CPU load. Frame rate of FSX-SE down to 6 FPS by this time.

Disconnection does't change CPU load or framrate. Killing vPilot by TaskManager or X-button changes back to normal frame rate of 29-30 FPS.

Specs: Core i3-6100 Hyper threading, GTX 1060 3GB, m.2 SSD for Win10 64 PRO, Samsung SSD for FSX-SE and vPilot. 3 ASUS screens in surround Wide view.

Regards

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does the problem occur when you are not near other aircraft?

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

Yes. This happens also when not close to other aircraft.

But: If i limit the distance to 5 Nm and number of aircraft to 20 under Performance tab it stays at a lower CPU load, in my case around 3-4%.

However - with a higher aircraft load the load of vPilot on the CPU rises continuously, but does't decline if I apply a lower setting. I need to close vPilot, restart and reconnect for a lower setting to eecrease the CPU load of vPilot.

And I find it strange that the CPU load should increase over five minutes to reach peak when conneccting with high settings, and not decrease when changing settings of performance or disconnecting. Also it is strange to me that the nuber of aircraft, moving and still, doesn't seem to influence FSX nearly as much.

However - if this behaviour of vPilot is normal I rest my case and find it solved. 5 Nm and 20 aircraft for a Core i3-6100?

EDIT: AFter 10 minutes I find that the performance setting 5 Nm 20 aircraft (one AI aircraft visible at EGLL, 35 / 38 pilots arrivaing or departing according to Vattastic) has resulted in 26 % of CPU load. Without moving my aircraft and two departing aircraft during this time.

Thanks for taking time.

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Yes. This happens also when not close to other aircraft.

But: If i limit the distance to 5 Nm and number of aircraft to 20 under Performance tab it stays at a lower CPU load, in my case around 3-4%.

I think we're not understanding each other, because these two sentences seem to be in conflict with each other.

If you are not near any other aircraft, meaning there are no aircraft being injected into your sim by vPilot, does the vPilot CPU usage still rise over time?

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

Perhaps I am unclear: When the Performance settings are low, the CPU load is smaller to begin with. But still with settings of 5 Nm and 15 aircraft - and only two aircraft visible - the load increases slowly to over 22%. But it was with a higher setting it reached 33% CPU load also when not more than ten aircraft were visible. From this I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume vPilot count them in.

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can you answer the question from my last post?

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

The answer is no.

And with settings 5 Nm 10 aircraft there is no increase in CPU load above 3 %. (3 aircraft visible at EGLL, around 30 inbound and 30 outbound).

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I have no idea ... I haven't had any other reports of this. Obviously lots of people experience high CPU load from the sim when there are other aircraft nearby, but this is the first I've heard of high CPU load from vPilot.

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

Tommy are you also having this issue outside of the EGLL London area or is it specific to that area?

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross for your interest. I often read in posts that every computer system is different. I am progressively more and more inclined to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume also voodo has to be considered.

However, this might be a singular situation: As the CPU load of FSX isn't increasing over the "standard" 30 - 32% while the vPilot load slowly increases perhaps my setup makes Win10 report/analyze the load this way instead of blaming FSX for it all. But at the same time it is vPilot that freezes and at times neither can be shut down or disconnected other than through TaskManager (even though frame rates of FSX goes down to 6 - 7 FPS).

Marcus - I haven't had this serious freeze experience elsewhere, but I haven't experimented elsewhere either. EDDF or EDDH from where I have been flying seldom has the level of aircraft (if that is the cuplprit) of EGLL.

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted

Marcus.

After your question I started FSX and placed an aircraft at EHAM which at the moment has 23 arrivals and 11 departures due, and 5 aircraft on the ground of which I can see tree from this gate. Performance setting 20Nm 30 aircraft. No increase in CPU load at all, framerate in FSX at 30 FPS.

What can be the problem with my EGLL?

EDIT. A couple of minutes later at EGLL: 8 aircraft on ground, six visible, some 30 in or outbound, same setting as EHAM. CPU load of vPilot increases slowly. Two minutes after connection up at 9 %, now 11,2...

Tommy

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Tommy, do you have any other SimConnect add-ons running? I'm wondering if something is clogging up the SimConnect pipeline, leading to increased CPU usage from vPilot.

Tommy Engman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ross,

I really don't know what other apps use Simconnect. FSCommander? FSUIPC? When flying I use FSRealWX and BAVirtuals' Acars but not when testing.

Tommy

Edited by Guest

Tommy Engman ESNU

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.