You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Full screen whilst using swift

Dale  Eden 1138884

Dale  Eden 1138884
Posted
Posted

I keep scrolling but not found any answers.

I am giving swift a go with FS9 before squawkbox becomes fully redundant.

So I have it fully working but I am wondering if there is a way to use it inside FS9 as SB did? Or do I have to leave FS9 every time I want to comm via text with ATC? I see there is option to keep the window on top however, the window disappears when you enter full scree. As you can imagine nobody wants to be on FS with taskbars open.

Can anyone shed light on this? Thanks

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Dale,

that's why I usually run FS9 in window mode, not in full screen. However, when you are flying, is there much that you need to do in your pilot client? To ATC you talk on voice, just select the correct frequency, same for UNICOM. In case that you have a second computer/notebook that can be connected through a network, try running swift on it, just like Squawkbox.

Dale  Eden 1138884
Posted
Posted

Swift was relatively straight forward to start up etc but I must say it is disappointing that it cannot be attached to the FS when in full screen. I don't always use voice, and especially as I use my pc in a communal room, I like to comm with text so to have to now jump in and out of the FS to see the text box is a bit awkward.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I always had the same problem with Squawkbox, because I did not want to run the in-program version of it. Wouldn't it be a solution for you to run FS9 in window mode? Have you tried undocking e.g. the text-com widget of swift and the select it to "Stay on top", does it help?

Dale  Eden 1138884
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately not, when you enter full screen it sends all other windows to the back even if I have enabled stay on top. Maybe this could be a future update to have a module version to use within FS. It is just an eyesore to have the taskbar across the top of the screen now.

Dale  Eden 1138884
Posted
Posted

I even tried the "attach/detach simulator window" option but no difference...

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Ah yes, I just tried it myself. Sorry, one solution would be a windowed version of FS9, it runs just fine for me or connecting a second computer to your FS9-machine and swift on it.

Dale  Eden 1138884
Posted
Posted

Thanks anyway, another hurdle now is that swift just dies when i select real world weather... It really does not like me!

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

Andreas,

That simply is not true what you posted to this gentlemen back in March:

FROM ANDREAS: >>>Ah yes, I just tried it myself. Sorry, one solution would be a windowed version of FS9, it runs just fine for me or connecting a second computer to your FS9-machine and swift on it.<<<

Oh really? Just 2 days ago you admitted to me that Swift with FS9 doesn't work over a second computer. But only after I relayed that to you after speaking with one of the software authors (Roland). But you say above you had it working back in March? BS

3 DAYS AGO FROM ANDREAS: >>>I see that you have contacted us on swift Discord. We found out now that swift cannot connect to FS9 through a network (yet). <<<

But you had it working back in March over a network eh?

Look. I'm not trying to be mean. Its just that I followed your advice on setting up Swift for several months without success. If you honestly do not know please just convey this. It prevents us from spending hours (months) trying to accomplish something that is not achievable.

Andreas I love your enthusiasm and you are without doubt a very nice individual to chat with. I mean that. Unfortunately many of us simply do not have the time to chase dead ends based on humble suggestions and lacking facts.

Fortunately Roland got me up and running Saturday. Finally. Months wasted.

All the best,

Michael

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Michael,

you may want to look at the date of my posting. That was before I was informed that FS9's multiplayer may not be able to connect to swiftGUI on a networked machine (and I have apologized to you about this!). A couple of days ago, another gentleman (see swift's Discord server!) was able to connect FS9 and swiftGUI on his local network, to Roland's surprise as well. And where did I write that I had connected FS9 and swiftGUI on a networked machine myself? Nowhere. I am not a native speaker, maybe my wording was not precise and has led you to believe that this is what I have written. Just for the record: due to the lack of a second computer, I cannot even try to replicate your problems. With swift I myself never tried or managed to connect the programs through a LAN.

So, why are you going so aggressively against me? I have offered you direct help through a voice-call/screen sharing session on more than one occasion, but you did not pick it up at any time. It's not my fault that you did not read through the installation instructions, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to run the wrong version of swift until we discovered it by chance. Look, I tried to help you directly on so many occasions and now you are venting your frustration on me, although you never really allowed me to help directly, that would have cut all your problems by several months. I had a lovely chat with Ian a few days ago and we got him sorted within an hour.