You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Error for opening file for writing:"

Ryan Gann 1004646

Ryan Gann 1004646
Posted
Posted

So I opened up Vpilot the other day and it asked if I wanted to update, which I always do but now it gets about halfway through the update and p[ops up with "Error for opening file for writing" tried all the different Abort, Retry, Ignore options with unsatisfactory results. When I open Vpilot and it ask me if I want to update I say no and then it crashes of course.

I did uninstall it to see if that would fix the problem and that didn't fix it. I also did the new config option and still the same issue. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks, Ryan

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Which file is it trying to write? Does it show you that?

Tried running the installer as an administrator? You shouldn't have to, unless you've selected an installation folder that you don't have write permissions to.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ryan Gann 1004646
Posted
Posted

I'll try and post a picture of what it says. Yea I tried to run as Admin but it still says the same thing. I've never had this problem before so it's really kind of weird.

Ok, don't know how to save a picture to here. here is what it says

"Error for opening file for writing:"

"C:\Users\My name\AppData\Local\vPilot\vPilot.exe"

Not sure what that means. I have tried installing from new (clean install), I have gone in and made sure everything is set to run as admin. Just really confused.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My best guess is that anti-virus software is preventing the exe file from being written to disk.

Ryan Gann 1004646
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your response Mr. Carlson. I don't have any special anti virus software on here and I haven't changed anything since the original install of vPilot so I don't think that would be the issue. I have gone through and made sure that it is not being blocked by any programs. If you do have some ideas of where I should check please let me know. This is so confusing to me. Please keep the ideas coming because I'm at my wits end at this point.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I'm lost too ... something is preventing you from writing files to your own appdata folder.