You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problem with vPilot

Paul Rickard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Paul Rickard

• Dixon Mak

• Robert Shearman Jr

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 35 posts

• Paul Rickard

Paul Rickard 32 posts

• Dixon Mak

Dixon Mak 7 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 1 post

Popular Days

• Jul 4 2022

12 posts

• Apr 11 2020

8 posts

• May 5 2020

8 posts

• May 1 2020

6 posts

Posted Images

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's still telling me that I need to request permission.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Paul Rickard
Posted
Posted (edited)

Says viewers can see it, 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YE9XS0QnQzimkARopekOuqBhB3Tu2aaV/view?usp=sharing

I checked it on a different browser and was able to download no problem.  If not I can just post it on here.  But it should work.

Edited by Paul Rickard

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Worked fine that time ... and if you open the file, you'll see why vPilot is not finding any of your models. The full contents are:

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
[Main]
SimObjectPaths.0=C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.1=C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Legacy

So, somehow your FSX.cfg got moved to a non-standard location, and the one in the standard location (this one) does not contain your simobject paths.

To fix it, copy the missing SimObjectPaths.# lines from your other FSX.cfg into this one. Make sure the numbers are sequential.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Paul Rickard
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross.  I will try this.  I really appreciate your diligence. 

Paul Rickard
Posted
Posted

Ross,

The only file I have is the one you posted above.  C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.  It has the exact information that you posted.  I'm not sure where the other FSX.cfg is in its non-standard location.  What are the lines I would need to add to make this work?  Thanks again.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm a little confused. You just said the only file you have is at "C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" but earlier you pasted the contents of your FSX.cfg file, which you said was located here:  

On 5/1/2020 at 3:18 PM, Paul Rickard said:

C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX also FSX_SE

I asked you to confirm that the path to the file contains both FSX-SE and FSX, and you replied that that is in fact the case.

Do you have both of these files or no?

Paul Rickard
Posted
Posted

I do have both of these files.  The file you posted

"[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

[Main]

SimObjectPaths.1=C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Legacy" is on the fsx.cfg file under C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.   I has fsx.cfg and fsx_se.cgf  located under C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.  

On the  C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX I was wondering what I need to add to make things work on vpilot?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Earlier in this thread I asked you to post the exact path to your FSX.cfg file, and you responded with "C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX also FSX_SE". I then asked you to confirm that the path actually contains both "FSX-SE" and "FSX" and you said yes. I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking if the path to your FSX.cfg contained BOTH of those strings. In other words, I asked if the full path to that one single file (FSX.cfg) contained both "FSX-SE" AND "FSX" in the same path. I was not asking if you had two separate config files, one containing "FSX-SE" and the other containing "FSX".

Based on what you've said just now, it sounds like you don't actually have an FSX.cfg file located at "C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX".

So, I'm going to ask you a question, and I need to you read my question carefully and answer it precisely:

Earlier in this thread, on April 27, when I asked you "Can you send me your FSX.cfg file?" you pasted the contents of a file directly in your reply, on April 28th. You then posted the contents of your FSX:SE config. (You prefixed that second file contents with "And here's the FSX-SE for good measure.") So here's my question:

What is the EXACT FULL PATH to each of those two file that you pasted the contents of on April 28?

The full path must include everything from the drive letter (such as "C:") all the way through to the filename itself, such as "FSX.cfg". As an example, here is the full path to my FSX.cfg:

C:\Users\Ross Carlson\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

Again, please post the EXACT FULL PATH to BOTH of those files that you pasted the contents of, on April 28th.

Once I get this answer from you, I'll be able to understand what is happening on your system and how to correct it.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Paul Rickard
Posted
Posted

C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE.  Has both fsx.cfg and fsx_se.cfg.  It different than the C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, which has the FSX.cfg containing: 

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
[Main]
SimObjectPaths.1=C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Legacy

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Okay, great, that clears it up. I'll put some thought into how to make vPilot detect this situation where you have multiple FSX.cfg files, but only one of them is actually the "real" one with a full set of SimObjectPaths defined.

For now, you can just copy this file:

C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX.cfg

Into this folder:

C:\Users\Paul Rickard\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

And overwrite the small FSX.cfg file that currently exists there. (Make a backup of it first if you want.)

You'll need to repeat this process if you add any aircraft models that you want vPilot to make use of.

Thanks for sticking with me on the troubleshooting here ... we finally got to the bottom of it!

Paul Rickard
Posted
Posted

Ross,

Great news!  It worked.  I really appreciate your help with this.  Thanks!

• 2 years later...
Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross,

Very much appreciated if you could take a look at my issue with vPilot and FS2020. I spent an afternoon googling for answer, and I finally came across this thread, which is similar to my issue.

vPilot won't let me finish setting up for first time use, I get the error message below. Btw, my FS2020 was not installed in the C Drive, it was installed in a separate hard drive in my computer (W Drive).

Capture.PNG

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That means that the "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" was not found on your computer. That's a default model that comes with MSFS. Did you uninstall it?

Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

That means that the "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" was not found on your computer. That's a default model that comes with MSFS. Did you uninstall it?

Thank you for answering my post.

Yes, I have uninstalled vPilot and reinstalled with the latest version. Is there a way for me to get this "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00"?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I didn't ask if you uninstalled vPilot, I asked if you uninstalled the "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00".

Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I didn't ask if you uninstalled vPilot, I asked if you uninstalled the "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00".

I only uninstalled vPilot. I didn't uninstall "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00".

But I don't see "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" in my Windows 10 Programs and Features, so I couldn't uninstall it even if I wanted to.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's not a program, it's a model that comes with MSFS.

Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Ross Carlson said:

It's not a program, it's a model that comes with MSFS.

Okay. Could you help me on how I can get "Generic Airliner Twin Engines Asobo 00" back into MSFS other than reinstall MSFS?

I don't believe I have done anything to my MSFS installation for a while, except adding mods to the community folder.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't know of a way other than a reinstall. The easiest thing would be for you to use a different default model, one that is actually installed in your sim.

If you send me your scan result file, I can pick a model that would be a good choice. The file to send me is called ModelScanResult-Msfs.xml and it can be found in the folder where you installed vPilot.

Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

I don't know of a way other than a reinstall. The easiest thing would be for you to use a different default model, one that is actually installed in your sim.

If you send me your scan result file, I can pick a model that would be a good choice. The file to send me is called ModelScanResult-Msfs.xml and it can be found in the folder where you installed vPilot.

The last time I reinstall MSFS to another hard drive, it was very difficult, at least for me. Lets hope you can find a model it will work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt9e0vxdi0rry9p/ModelScanResult-Msfs.xml?dl=0

Much appreciated your patience with me. Thanks.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Looks like you're missing most of the default airliners that come with the sim. Do you have any idea how they got deleted?

One that you still have is called "Airbus A320 Neo Asobo AirTraffic 01" ... try setting that as your default model. (Without the quotes.)

Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Looks like you're missing most of the default airliners that come with the sim. Do you have any idea how they got deleted?

One that you still have is called "Airbus A320 Neo Asobo AirTraffic 01" ... try setting that as your default model. (Without the quotes.)

I have no idea why the default airliners were missing. Then I loaded up MSFS and checked the default airliners, both the Airbus A320 Neo and 747 were in my hangers, see attached photo. I then selected the Airbus A320, clicked on Fly, and it showed up on the runway.

You mentioned setting "Airbus A320 Neo Asobo AirTraffic 01" as my default, where do I set this as default.

Capture1.PNG

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dixon Mak said:

I have no idea why the default airliners were missing. Then I loaded up MSFS and checked the default airliners, both the Airbus A320 Neo and 747 were in my hangers, see attached photo. I then selected the Airbus A320, clicked on Fly, and it showed up on the runway.

I'm referring to the models, not all of which are flyable by the user. You're missing a bunch that start with "Generic Airliner", some are twins, some are quads. Again, I'm not sure if they are flyable. (I'm not an MSFS user myself.)

10 minutes ago, Dixon Mak said:

You mentioned setting "Airbus A320 Neo Asobo AirTraffic 01" as my default, where do I set this as default.

Right in the box in your original screenshot.

Dixon Mak
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I'm referring to the models, not all of which are flyable by the user. You're missing a bunch that start with "Generic Airliner", some are twins, some are quads. Again, I'm not sure if they are flyable. (I'm not an MSFS user myself.)

Right in the box in your original screenshot.

It is working now. I can finish up the first time user screen. I have no idea why my MSFS installation is missing "Generic Airliner".

Maybe one day I will reinstall MSFS when the hard drive is full. 

Thanks again with your time and patience to guide me through.

Cheers.