You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

DutchFly VA Banned?

• vateur

Hans Molenaar

Hans Molenaar
Posted
Posted

For a several weeks we have received complaints from our pilots that the DutchFly pilots are no longer recognized at Vatsim.
Have we been banned from Vatsim or is there an internal problem?

I made a flight under my callsign DFL590 and indeed DutchFly is no longer recognized at Vatsim ......?
Every Friday evening an average of 4 pilots fly on Vatsim under a DFL callsign but they are not logged with us ....

Would you like help in this?

Yours sincerely,

Hans Molenaar
CEO DutchFly-VA

Screenshot_2020-04-04 SimAware - Real-Time VATSIM Flight Tracking.jpg

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted (edited)

VATSIM is VA and callsign agnostic. As such, a particular callsign (or VA) cannot be "banned" from VATSIM (with the exception of callsign that were involved in real-world incidents). What you probably are seeing is that some 3rd party tools don't recognise the callsign. You will need to contact the support staff for those tools directly as VATSIM does not manage these tools!

Edited by Tomas Hansson
Typo

Tomas Hansson

Jonathan Hougaard
Posted
Posted

If you're referring to the ICAO identifier DFL, it is for a real airlines (callsign MEDIFLIGHT). So if I have a flight with callsign DFL, I will naturally call it Mediflight.

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

@Maius Wong 1088939 can likely answer this in a more official sense, but the answer is a combination of everything above.

VATSIM does not have a centralized database, list or any other resource that decides if a callsign is official or not. As long as it's not offensive, you can use it.

For custom airlines though, such as VA's, the challenge is for ATC to notice it. Since it's not in the official list over airline identifiers, ATC won't know what to call you. We always recommend that you add "CALLSIGN // DutchFly" or something similar in your flight plan remarks, so ATC can check if unsure. 🙂 Mistakes will happen, but eventually if the callsign is active, more and more controllers will recognize it. 

Have fun flying!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I think the original poster needs to clarify what he means by "they are not logged with us" to get a more satisfying answer. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Hans Molenaar
Posted
Posted
On 4/20/2020 at 6:30 AM, Robert Shearman Jr said:

I think the original poster needs to clarify what he means by "they are not logged with us" to get a more satisfying answer. 

Let me explain what the problem is ...
On our DutchFly website (www.Dutchflyva.nl) we have a flight board with current flights projected on it.
The flights can be flown via Vatsim, IVAO or with kACARS.
Now it was always the case that the flights flown with the callsign DFL via Vatsim were also shown on this board ... And logged.
Because our DFL pilots flying via Vatsim are no longer logged with us, their flying hours are no longer credited ...
So it takes longer for them to rise in rank ....

I know from my own experience that when I made a flight on Vatsim under the DFL590 callsign, this was shown on our flight board and the flight hours were also logged.

Who oh who knows what to do?

Sincerly,

Hans

CEO DutchFly VA

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Welp, that's a completely different issue to what your initial post suggested. Have you guys looked at using the new JSON datafeed to keep track of the pilots?

Me.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sounds like an issue with your VA's API reading the VATSIM data feed. 

EDIT: oh, Nestor's answer is probably a better nudge in the right direction. 

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Maius Wong
Posted
Posted

Hi Hans,

As far as I'm aware, VATSIM hasn't taken any action against DutchFlyVA.  What you're looking at is a flight on SimAware, and SimAware parses your callsign to determine the airline.

As I don't have a database of virtual airlines, DutchFlyVA doesn't show up on SimAware, unfortunately.

Hope that helps,
Maius

Maius Wong
Webmaster
Minneapolis ARTCC
Developer simaware.ca / map.vatsim.net