You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How do I know which runway to land on in my Arrival airport?

AbdulSami Khan

AbdulSami Khan
Posted
Posted

Suppose I make a Flight Plan from EGLL to EGCC. I put the arrival runway as 24R. What if, as im arriving, the controller Clears me to land on 06L which is at the opposite side. What do I do? I can't change my flight plan because I have a freeware aircraft and if I change my flight plan, it goes crazy. Any Answers would be appreciated. If I don't reply soon, i'll be sleeping. Thanks!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Learn to fly the plane with the autopilot in some other mode than LNAV and VNAV. 

It may sound like I'm being a smart-ass with that answer, and to some extent I am.  But if you are flying a plane which doesn't allow route modification and the controller gives you something other than what you programmed, ask for vectors and use heading mode -- or, heaven forbid, use the yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle to control the airplane. 

On the other hand, there are some freeware FMC add-ons that would allow you to modify your route while in flight; do some Googling and see what you come up with. 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

AbdulSami Khan
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wait, I can do that? I can ask for runway directions? I'm new to VATSIM so I don't know much. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Edited by AbdulSami Khan
Fixing mistakes

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Put "FSX default GPS, unable to modify route" in your remarks.  Not all controllers will see that, though -- so if you're given an instruction you can't follow, simply say "unable, request vectors" and be ready to engage Heading Hold mode. 

But, certainly check around for some add-on FMCs which will help you interact more realistically.  I'm told there are some good freeware ones, but I've never personally researched them.  I eventually just bit the bullet and bought the PMDG 737.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

AbdulSami Khan
Posted
Posted

Yea, I did find one called vasFMC. I'll use that. Thanks for your time!

Adam Trzcinski
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AbdulSami Khan said:

Yea, I did find one called vasFMC. I'll use that. Thanks for your time!

I have been using vasFMC with FSX and x-Plane, it has some quirks under x-Plane, but certainly workable and allows me to do all I need to do 🙂

VATSIM Germany

www.ftw-sim.de | Fly-The-World economic simulation