You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

dum dum dum...another one bites the dust!

Ian Elchitz 810151

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Yes it's true - I'm truly part of Generation X now.

Funny I never realized this forum was even here before, nice to see some familiar names in here and wanted to say hello.

The transition from YEARS of MSFS to XP has been interesting but quite rewarding. I certainly don't have the confidence in XP that I have in FS9 while flying online, but that's improving with every flight.

The lack of airport scenery isn't a big deal, but I wish I was able to taxi around at night. Taxiway signs would be pretty sweet as well. Aside from that the scenery is fantastic. Flying at night is especially spectacular.

I'm pretty excited about the future of XP here on Vatsim. So when you guys see my name in CAPS - you know I'm zipping 'round in XP.

One question - when does the LevelD for XP come out

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Pierre Theillere 861704
Posted
Posted

Hi Ian!

Glad to see some people take the (hard) step to switch from M$F$ to X-Plane! If you're looking for a nice "heavy", feel free to try the fantastic Boeing 737-800 from http://www.xpgoodwayteam.org

If you want, feel free to have it a try under X-Plane 8.50 RC-3, with their latest plugin 2.7b7, it's realy amazing with electrical systems simulation... looking promising for other systems in the future! The biggest lack in X-Plane is infact the FMC and a true MCDU interface... but looks like some guys are working on it! But if you want fully accurate systems simulation, instead of chasing the FS world, why not have a try to PS13 simulator?

On same website, you'll find an amazing DR400-120, a popular French training aircraft widely used on aeroclubs: I've been flying it for real (13 hour on my real logbook!) and it's quite close to the real thing!

Pierre, LFPG, STV1010

PS: beware to flocks of birds!!!

• 5 months later...
Robert Winkler 993341
Posted
Posted

Hello Pierre, In this post you mention the DR400/120. I also have dwn loaded this a/c & its great fun to fly. However I want to fly with it on Vatsim but can't get radio/navs to turn on! I wrote Stef(designer) & received some directions but they don't work either. By chance can you help me to get radio/navs to function?

Thanks in advance,Bob W

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

Oh man... ya know, I find it strange, but I'm sure thinking hard about jumping off the FS bandwagon on to XP. It kind of reminds me of the was FS was when it was in its beginning stages. Lots of freeware and oh so much potential. Of course, X-Plane is developing hugely fast, is so much more efficient, and, well....

And, umm, I almost hate to admit it, but I'm about this close to jumping to a Mac too...

Oh my god, I don't know what I'm saying...

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Pierre Theillere 861704
Posted
Posted

Hi Robert!

For the DR400-120, the radios are controlled via a plugin (supplied with the airplane), you should put it with your existing other plugins in "resources/plugins" subdirectory in yoru X-Plane directory.

Be aware that the DR400 only works fine in 1024 x 768 resolution for X-Plane... it's a known bug... but it's not written in much locations!

Be sure to try the XSquawkBox 1.01 beta 2, running very smooth on X-Plane 8.60! And don't miss many nice sceneries over France on http://www.x-plane.fr.

Hope it helps...

Pierre, LFPG, STV1010

Student virtual pilot of gyrocopters... but not online with them yet!