You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Microphone way too loud, meters way below green

Stephan Buchmann

Stephan Buchmann
Posted
Posted

Hello, 

could it be possible that the audio bar graph in the settings page is "way off" for my type of intercom/micro (..and works well for most PC headsets) ? 

I have a flightsound intercom with Original Sennheiser HME45 Aviation headset. Even when I set micro level so that it raches only a third (1/3) of the blue bar, controller complain that we are way too loud. We then still have to bend the mikro far away from the mouth. 
Anybody else having that issue? Could that be checked? Ideally an audio compressor/limiter would be great ...

Thx Stephan

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Stephan Buchmann said:

Hello, 

could it be possible that the audio bar graph in the settings page is "way off" for my type of intercom/micro (..and works well for most PC headsets) ? 

I have a flightsound intercom with Original Sennheiser HME45 Aviation headset. Even when I set micro level so that it raches only a third (1/3) of the blue bar, controller complain that we are way too loud. We then still have to bend the mikro far away from the mouth. 
Anybody else having that issue? Could that be checked? Ideally an audio compressor/limiter would be great ...

Thx Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I would like you to try something: Download the the Audio For VATSIM standalone client (https://audio.vatsim.net/downloads/standalone) and see if the VU meter bar matches what xPilot reports. Ideally, it should produce the same results because xPilot uses the same audio libraries.

Let me know your results. 

• Like 1

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Stephan Buchmann
Posted
Posted

Hi Justin, 

the Audio4Vatsim standalone showed exactly the same level as Xpilot. 
So I turned down the volume to -50 or so and the peaks were on the blue bar  at about 1/3 to 1/2. 
Could it be that being in the green area is wrong for some type of microphones? 

I think I will finally test it with a second Vatsim connection in the same room and do an active on radio check. Will share if I find anything interesting. 
Problem solved,
Thx so much, 
Stephan