You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

GA Flying in Hawaii

Grant Williams

Grant Williams
Posted
Posted

I am unsure why but the islands have always had a special place in my heart. I have always enjoyed flying the islands since I started flight swimming as a young kid.

Would love to organize a group specific to flying general aviation/smaller aircraft around Hawaii... anyone interested? I have a Discord group made but wanted to gauge interest first.

Martin Hobson
Posted
Posted

Have flown GA there IRL and am not sure why you would want to go there. Your choices are limited to flying around the island clockwise or counterclockwise  - and there's only a handful of airports on each island. Anything else is 2,500 miles away - and I think IRL ferry flights to/from the mainland are pretty dicey! It's true that the scenery is pretty impressive but the simulators won't do it justice...

Grant Williams
Posted
Posted

Hey Martin,

I think the simplicity of it all is what I enjoy. The airspace is not complex, the airfields are simple to get in and out of, and the flights do not take a long time to complete (depending on what route you want to fly). The stretch of airspace between Maui and Honolulu is one of the busiest in the world!

I don't think simulators ever do scenery justice. Hopefully FS2020 solves that 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
Aidan Deschene
Posted
Posted
On 5/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, Grant Williams said:

The airspace is not complex, the airfields are simple to get in and out of, and the flights do not take a long time to complete (depending on what route you want to fly).

All of what was said here is extremely true. From first-hand experience of controlling the region; the airspace is extremely simple, and non-congested. There is only two fields that have a large amount of departure and arrival procedures, and those are Honolulu and Kahului; which receive a good amount of IFR traffic per month. I believe that both the Honolulu CF airspace, and Anchorage ARTCC airspace do need to see some more activity, and with time we do seek to increase our numbers, and provide a great quality of controlling in the Islands and up North. (don't forget about Guam... never...)

crisp_logo.png
Aidan Deschene
Training Administrator
VATSIM Cleveland ARTCC
[email protected]