You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Assigned Approaches Question

Danice Schramm

Danice Schramm
Posted
Posted

Are approaches assigned based on Vatsim Pilot Rating?

So  example if I have no rating will I only get Visual approaches from ATC?

Thanks

Tom Szczypinski
Posted
Posted

Nope! You can fly any approach that you want, any time at any airport.

Just make sure if you're flying a "non-standard" approach that you actually know how to fly it! Otherwise the controller won't be too happy 😀

Tom Szczypinski
VATSIM Primary Operations Inspector
VATSIM VA Audit Manager

3OFjrxm.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

To be precise: if ATC is active at the airport that you are planning to land at, they will let you know what runway and what type of approach is in use at this (via ATIS and also when you call up the respective ATCO). But don't be shy to ask for another type of approach, e.g. if ATC assigns ILS approaches to runway XY, but you would like to shoot an NDB, VOR or RNP approach to that runway, just request it: "request RNP approach runway XY". ATC will usually approve it, but don't count it, especially if the sector is busy.

• Like 1

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

And to add to the answers; VATSIM pilot ratings are 100% optional, not easily visible to ATC and have absolutely no influence on what you can or cannot do on the network!

• Like 1

Tomas Hansson

• 2 weeks later...
Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Certainly don't take it as degrading if a controller offers you a visual approach though.  I'll hand out visual approaches like candy if conditions permit and it has nothing to do with pilot quality.  Actually, I've found newer pilots tend to struggle more with the visual approaches than ILS ones because it removes the automation component.  Visual approaches significantly reduce the controller and the pilot workload.  They don't take nearly as long to execute, and we can slide more traffic in.  They really are a good thing.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Visual approaches *are* harder -- you actually have to fly the airplane yourself rather than let Otto Pilot do all the heavy lifting! 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Visual approaches *are* harder -- you actually have to fly the airplane yourself rather than let Otto Pilot do all the heavy lifting!

Not necessarily! There are not many black or white situations in aviation, but there are rather many, many shades of grey.

When you fly a visual approach you simply navigate on your own to intercept the final approach track to some runway, no matter whether it is an ILS (most common), a VOR-radial, NDB-QDM or an RNP-procedure. Even if you choose to not use any of those navigation aids, you'd built an extended centerline on your FMC+NavDisplay to help you keep situational awareness.

On top of it all, nobody dictates that you HAVE TO fly such a maneuver manually until you get closer to the runway! I personally prefer flying manually, but I know a lot of colleagues who rather use the autopilot in HDG and VS/PATH mode to have more capacity to scan the airspace for other traffic and to cross-check their navigation (height vs. distance to runway). Everyone as he or she likes.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Visions of 'Airplane' 😁