You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Shared Cockpit

Pranav Srinivasan

Pranav Srinivasan
Posted
Posted

Ok I don't know what I'm doing wrong. We both choose the same default aircraft. We follow the steps to connect on vpilot but then nothing no connection nothing. Is it an issue that he's on box edition and I'm on the steam edition of FSX?

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

VATSIM does not provide a cockpit sharing function, it only facilitates for it. The only thing the "observer" mode does is hide you from the scope if you are flying with a shared cockpit solution, but they have to be provided externally. 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Pranav Srinivasan
Posted
Posted

Any ideas on how to setup a shared cockpit?

Pranav Srinivasan
Posted
Posted

I'm trying to find out how to set up  shared cockpit but I dont find anything on what to do any help would be appreciated

Grant Williams
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lack Walker said:

I'm trying to find out how to set up  shared cockpit but I dont find anything on what to do any help would be appreciated

I have posed a similar question on here because I am also running FSX:SE. Ross Carlson mentioned there is a feature in vPilot that facilitates it and makes sure that there is not someone hovering over you when they are in the same spot as you. Something about hiding people with the same callsign...

Anyway, I was thinking that it would be possible to connect online via Steam, share a cockpit using the built in feature on FSX, and then connect to VATSIM using vPilot. That said, that doesn’t solve the problem of one of you being on the box version of FSX.... honestly not sure of any other solutions.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

The vPilot (and other VATSIM pilot client) Shared Cockpit features are simply to allow two pilots to connect to the network in the 'same' aircraft without duplicating the blips on the controller's radar screen (or indeed other pilots seeing double).

The actual sharing of the cockpit will either be facilitated through the built-in FSX/P3D multiplayer facility, a third-party aircraft which has a shared cockpit feature (e.g. the Aerosoft Airbus), or third-party software such as JoinFS or SmartCopilot (for X-Plane). You are best placed referring to the specific documentation for whatever software you are using for that.

What I can say is that if you are using the FSX or P3D multiplayer facility for shared cockpit, or JoinFS, you will be pretty much limited to default aircraft because the complex systems of third-party addons are not readable to be shared across the network. There are a small number of more complex addons which have their own shared cockpit functionality (e.g. Aerosoft Airbus, MJC Dash 😎 but they are few and far between.

I know SmartCopilot is the solution for X-Plane but I don't have any first-hand experience of it!

Vice President, Pilot Training

• 3 months later...
David Gant
Posted
Posted (edited)

As Simon says, you can do this fairly easily so both of you can talk to ATC from within one aircraft.  I use this method regularly with students for GA flying.

JoinFS is a free utility written by a UK flight simmer for networking FSX/P3D/Xplane simulators together but as Simon points out it is limited in it's function.  It supports cockpit sharing which is limited to basic controls only.  For example, you would see the other pilot lower flaps and change the heading bug, but it would not show you complex controls such as seatbelt switches, APU settings.  You don't have to use identical aircraft models, but the more complex and different they are the more issues you are likely to encounter.  It relies on one of you being able to connect to Vatsim as an observer - possible in both vPilot and xPilot.

The procedure takes some explaining so I have made video tutorials:

How to download and set up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgXMN-MnE1c&t=15s

How to cockpit share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qXWaZnyQPE

Edited by David Gant