You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

setting up XSquawk

Kerry Kelly 985823

Kerry Kelly 985823
Posted
Posted

I am new at this and am trying to setup XSquawk in X-Plane 8.50. Need a lot of help on how to set this up.

Thanks Kerry

Joe Chou 980766
Posted
Posted
I am new at this and am trying to setup XSquawk in X-Plane 8.50. Need a lot of help on how to set this up.

You would do well to at least say your system specifications, what you've downloaded, what you've tried, and what problems you've run into so far. Otherwise, you are wasting people's time, if they answer things that are not problems for you.

Mac, Windows, Linux? If Mac, Intel vs. PPC? If Intel Mac, you are kind of out of luck until XSB is re-written as a Universal app.

Did you download the correct XSB (for VATSIM, vs. for IVAO)

Do you have an account at VATSIM?

And finally when you do get it set up, unless you want to get yelled at, highly recommend reading the info for new pilots at the vatsim pilot resource center (PRC) before even THINKING about connecting.

Running X-plane in Windows XP on a MacIntel... Why do things the easy way?

Kerry Kelly 985823
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice, like I said I am new at this deal. I have, window xp home, 512 vram, 3 ghz cpu computer is less than a year old dell dimension e510. Yes I have dowloaded XSquawkBox and have registered. Also because I don't want to get YELLED at. I have read some of the new pilot stuff and will read more about it before connecting. But first thing first. "getting connected". I would like some help in that area and it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help kerry

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kerry,

There is a README html file that comes with the plugin. It explains the basics of obtaining a VATSIM ID (which you have done), entering the server IP, your vatsim id, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, etc.

You should also download a tool called ServInfo (search the other forums for references to it) which is a tool for seeing which ATC is connected to the network.

Find an area with ATC using servinfo and pick an airport to start from. Start xplane and configure Xsquawkbox's audio settings (specifying the input and output devices, and to calibrate your mic).

Position yourself on the ramp at the selected airport, away from the taxiways and runways, THEN connect to the network. Click the SHOW WHO'S ONLINE button, and give it a few seconds after you connect. Tune your COM1 radio and let the fun begin.

The rest of the procedures for flying on VATSIM are not xplane specific, and can be learned from the PRC. Enjoy xplane, it's good to see another user out there!

Keith

Edited by Guest

Kerry Kelly 985823
Posted
Posted

Thanks Keith I'll try it right now

Kerry

Joe Chou 980766
Posted
Posted
Thanks Keith I'll try it right now

Please post if you have any bumps along the way -- I'll be migrating shortly to using X-Plane on Windows (running on a Mac Intel, so no other choice) fairly shortly, and will be going through the Windows X-Plane / XSB setup soon too.

When I started a month or so ago, getting connected to VATSIM was pretty straightforward. The challenging part was learning the ropes for interacting with ATC and flying at the same time, but I was lucky to have some very patient and helpful ATC.

Good luck!

Running X-plane in Windows XP on a MacIntel... Why do things the easy way?