You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA RVSM Implementation

Craig Merriman 834118

Craig Merriman 834118
Posted
Posted

On January 20th 2005, VATUSA will be implementing DRVSM (Domestic Reduced Vertical Separation Minima) throughout the CONUS (Continental United States) and Alaska, as well as the Oakland, Miami and New York Oceanic airspaces. RVSM reduces the vertical separation between aircraft to 1000 feet in opposite directions from FL290 to FL410 (inclusive).

The definition of westbound and eastbound flight remains unchanged. The only change is in the altitude structure.

Odd Flight Levels: Magnetic Course 000-179 Degrees

Even Flight Levels: Magnetic Course 180-359 Degrees

VATUSA is suggesting an equipment suffix of /W or /Q for aircraft wishing to follow real-life standards and to simulate certification of their aircraft for flight in RVSM airspace. Aircraft are NOT REQUIRED to file flightplans with this equipment suffix. Aircraft choosing not to use the appropriate equipment suffix WILL NOT be denied access to the RVSM altitudes. There will be no policy with regard to the certification of aircraft for RVSM flight, as there are no compelling technical reasons to do so.

Aircraft may experience wake turbulence occasionally in flight. If the wake turbulence causes the aircraft to drastically change altitudes and render the aircraft uncontrollable or unable to maintain level flight, the pilot should inform ATC of the issue via in-flight PIREP. ATC may issue a new altitude based on traffic and workload to accommodate the aircraft and to ensure the safety of other pilots within proximity of the aircraft experiencing severe turbulence. This new altitude may be below the RVSM altitudes if it is deemed necessary by ATC. This is no different than what previously existed and is mentioned for completeness, as it may be a question raised by controllers and pilots and it is addressed in FAA RVSM procedures.

One final note, the FAA RVSM docomeentation mentions procedures for non-RVSM aircraft, to be clear and to repeat... aircraft within the flight simulator environment, who are capable of climbing to and maintaining an altitude within the RVSM altitude structure, will be allowed to do so.

Craig Merriman

VATSIM North America Region RCRP Member

Flagman - NEMA - NorthEastern Midget [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociation

The Winged Warriors!

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

I called Green Bay Flight Service tonight to clear up a question I had regarding what suffix is used below FL290 and just to add to what Craig stated if you are flying FL290 and above its suggested to use /Q or /W . If you are flying below FL290 use whatever you have been using before RVSM was implemented.

Nick

Patrick Hrusa 829042
Posted
Posted

Hi!

I think the US guys will know that link, but for all others.

http://www.faa.gov/ntap/NTAP04DEC23/GEN04006.htm

Kind Regards

Av_Logo_Signatur_PH2.png

Craig Merriman 834118
Posted
Posted

Thanks Patrick.

I also hear that the suffixes are changing by year's end.

Craig Merriman

VATSIM North America Region RCRP Member

Flagman - NEMA - NorthEastern Midget [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociation

The Winged Warriors!

Jim Johnson 814050
Posted
Posted

Looks like the Flight Service guy was incorrect. This is an excerpt from Patrick's link (the official FAA docomeent on RVSM Suffix codes):

c. Phase 3. Effective January 20, 2005 at 0901 UTC, all operators/aircraft that are RVSM-compliant are required to file "/Q" or "/W", as appropriate, in the FAA Flight Plan for flights between flight level (FL) 290-410, inclusive. This includes operators filing through DUATS and Flight Service Stations.

That should clear it up. Real world, correct suffix is REQUIRED. VATUSA it's OPTIONAL. I'd like to add my personal rant though (which may later become a post in it's own somewhere else), that controllers who completely ignore the suffix are just being lazy. In the past we've always checked the suffix and changed things like /Z to /F if the aircraft in question has FMS. It's no different to change a /F to a /Q because of RVSM. It's our job to teach pilots the correct procedures for their type of flight. If pilots are told about the new suffix, chances are they'll file it next time. If you never look, and never tell them about it, how are they supposed to learn?

Jim Johnson

VP - Membership (VATGOV12)

j.johnson(at)vatsim.net

Nicholas Fredrich 827138
Posted
Posted

Jim,

you misunderstood what I said... VATUSA suggests it... I was merley explaining what to set your suffix to if you are going to be filing under FL290.

Nick