You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XPilot disconnection

John Arnold

John Arnold
Posted
Posted

Hello

My first post (I think)

I would like to know what would cause the following (in XPilot after connection)

"Forcible disconnection from the network"

Would it be because I was connected parked at the same bay and not doing anything for a while?

Or could it be that I was parked at a bay someone else wanted to use? I had looked up all the apron chart diagrams for the airport (YSSY) and found all those which are marked as for the aircraft type I was using (B738) and the airline (Qantas - QF) and chosen one of many possibilities and after moving my aircraft to a different parking bay and rejoining I noticed a different aircraft parked where I was previously (it was not there before I connected the first time as I had checked using SimAware.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

xPilot is a multi player client, not a flightsim program so changing the sim is not a solution to this problem. If you were going to take that drastic step you would be going backwards 17 years (FS9) and 14 years (FSX).  Forced type of disconnections are more probably related to  Vatsim as all clients using Vatsim have now been coded to automatically disconnect when frame rates fall below 20fps for longer than 30 seconds (although in practise this disconnection is reported to occurr sometimes even when FPS are above 20 and even when fps are below 20 for less than 30 seconds.  X-Plane's Log.Txt file should reveal more??

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

We would need to see the actual disconnection message to determine why you were disconnected.

It could have been that you were interfering with network operations and a supervisor was trying to get ahold of you and you failed to respond, leading him to disconnect you from the network as that is what triggers “forcible disconnection messages”. Based on your story this is not likely as a supervisor would have tried to contact you via private message before disconnecting you from the network. 

It’s also possible that you internet was not stable and you were disconnected from the network by way of your internet failing temporarily. This shouldn’t produce a forcible disconnect message though.

It’s also very possible that you fell below 20 FPS for an extended period of time, > 30 seconds, due to the way xPlane handles low framerates, you get disconnected from the network after being below 20FPS for more than 30 seconds. This tends to happen at stands, where there is a lot of scenery which can drive down xPlane frame rates. There are a lot of warning messages in xPilot that advise you of this situation before the disconnect though.

Show us a screenshot of xPilot next time and we can figure it out.

• Like 1

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted

I just want to clarify one thing: the frame rate detection does not start monitoring until your ground speed is >= 10kts, so sitting at the gate would not trigger a frame rate disconnect. 

Like others mentioned, we would need to see the actual disconnect message(s) that you received. Typically, a forceful disconnect originates from a VATSIM supervisor. 

• Like 1

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

John Arnold
Posted
Posted

Hello

I have attached a screen shot of what I saw on XPilot.

Please note that the after the disconnection I typed in a question in case someone online may have had the same problem at the time - sorry if I shouldn't have done that.

Hope it helps.

1615823141_XPILOTDISCONNECTION.thumb.jpg.b17ab70b24ba991aff193a48c8af8b6c.jpg

Justin Shannon
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, John Arnold said:

Hello

I have attached a screen shot of what I saw on XPilot.

Please note that the after the disconnection I typed in a question in case someone online may have had the same problem at the time - sorry if I shouldn't have done that.

Hope it helps.

1615823141_XPILOTDISCONNECTION.thumb.jpg.b17ab70b24ba991aff193a48c8af8b6c.jpg

You were forcibly disconnected from the network by a supervisor. In your screenshot, there are two private message tabs from supervisors, probably trying to do an activity check on you. 

Controller (C3), Los Angeles ARTCC
Developer: xPilot, vATIS

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

And based on the timestamps it was 2 hours and 45 minutes after you connected.  That's a long time to be using server bandwidth if you're not doing anything. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

John Arnold
Posted
Posted (edited)

I take your point BUT only saw ONE message which was 'calling' CMP145 (EXPECT STAR CLEARANCE) which was hardly directed at me (IMHO).

Please explain what to look for when looking for 'private messages', maybe the tabs such as SYD_APP and DW_SUPP (on my screen shot)? I can only find documentation and youtube videos on how to setup and configure Xpilot not how to use it.

I am a newbie and had been watching and listening to the 'chatter' to get myself familiar with what is expected of a pilot when requesting clearance, pushback, startup, taxi etc etc (I don't want to make many slip ups especially as most pilots sound so professional and maybe are real pilots) and had perhaps gone to the bathroom and got distracted. Maybe next time I exit the 'flight deck' I should disconnect XPilot. I will do that in future. Just part of the learning curve I guess. Also keep a lookout for extra tabs and select them if displayed (can't remember seeing anything about that in documentation)?

Edited by John Arnold
typo

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, each private conversation with another user is opened in a separate tab. In addition there is a loud beep accompanying it which is hard to miss (unless you're away from the computer, of course). Welcome to VATSIM and keep learning. 

Edited by Dace Nicmane
KntU2Cw.jpg

John Arnold
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dace.  No user documentation available anywhere?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

John Arnold
Posted
Posted

Thanks especially for the trouble you went to creating an animation instead of just suggesting Google.

Strangely I had previously found that document and downloaded it (printed to a pdf file using Microsoft Print to PDF ) BUT it only included the first 3 pages as I HATE reading documents more than 2 or 3 pages online and I like to keep a copy on my disk I always download them.  I thought that was all of the document as I had not scrolled online more than a page or 2.

I just tried to create a document again and the same thing happened. I will have to try something different. Maybe cut and paste to a Word document.