You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

On going trials of getting connected, advice and questions

Neil Rutledge 845156

Neil Rutledge 845156
Posted
Posted

Well tonight I had some success )) I actually got audio reception from an ATC and other flights. Now some points of interest from a Australian beginner to other beginners in my words:

1. Don't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume there will be an ATC in your area like i did. If you want to sit and observe/listen use ServerInfo to visually find the busiest ATC centre and their corresponding airport. In FS goto that airport, move to a parking area not on runway or taxi way. In SQBox file a flight plan with Depart and Destn airports as the same, Comment as 'Observing'. Then in SQB connect. My first connection was to an Russian controler who spoke in an 'international language' that I could not understand (at least it proved I could here him). Remember that your range is limited.

2. Had to use the 127.0.0.1 IP adrdress in search windows to see the SBRElay sessions both in FS multiplayer and SQBox.

3. Don't have a call sign with all letters, phonetic spelling 7 chars is a drag I'm going to change to 2 chars and 3 numbers.

4. Quality is good on my 56K dialup thru Hotel PABX (Can't wait to get home, but then I won't have the time in the evenings).

5. Can take a few minutes for your details to appear/update in Serverinfo, Give 2-3 minutes before worrying, as I swapped airports trying to find traffic on a quiet night it took 4 minutes for my details to update, be patient.

6. As I sit and type I am still getting voice transmissions so it does not matter what is the active program.

For the more experienced a few general statements/questions?

ATC could not hear my transmissions (AVC mike test p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es)?

Could not see other traffic land even though he confirmed to ATC parked and shutdown.

SB text transmission me to ATC OK both ways (and from others)

AVC Tuner crashes when I try to start it?

I guess my AI traffic is mine alone so I turning AI off in FS should just leave me and online traffic

I still have to work through the AVC server/room voice channel stuff and how it relates to ServerInfo about the controler.

What do the little colour dots next to the flag buttons on ServeriNfo mean?

ideas and thoughts and discussion gratefull accepted.

Oh God, I've just remembered - there is a 'Press to talk Key' in AVC. what an idiot....

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> AVC Tuner crashes when I try to start it?

If AVC Tuner can't connect to the server (where it find freq/voice-server tables I suppose), it has proved that it crash.

> What do the little colour dots next to the flag buttons on ServeriNfo mean?

Never before notice, but now I see yellow mean traffic, green mean ATC available.

> Oh God, I've just remembered - there is a 'Press to talk Key' in AVC. what an idiot....

You not complete alone, it have happend before, I will add that to my troubleshoot at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Neil Rutledge 845156
Posted
Posted

> If AVC Tuner can't connect to the server (where it find freq/voice-server tables I suppose), it has proved that it crash.

Unless its a Firewall issue that I missed I'm stumped and will just gie up on AVC Tuner.

ANy ideas on not seeing the other aircraft

Thanks in advance

Neal Glassett 843825
Posted
Posted

Do you get red error messages in SBRelay about not being able to forward traffic data? I had that problem (red errors and no visible traffic) on my old router because it refused to open the correct ports for traffic data. My new router works like a charm.

Neal Gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ett

ZFW ARTCC

PWA6060

Neal Gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ett

UNI725

www.uniair.org

Neil Rutledge 845156
Posted
Posted

No error messages that I saw. It was a pain after picking an airport with some one incoming, setting position on tarmac, getting voice set up etc ready and then ALT tabbing between FS and serverinfo to see how far out the guy was. Voice coms were fine then he says hes parked and shut down. I didn't see a thing. WHat a let down

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Just to be sure since everything else looks ok, do you have the Squawkbox multiplyer range set to a value 5-40nm and not "OFF".

Also check the Region setting in subject 9. Faulty position at Vatsim Troubleshooting at http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

You might bee faulty position on Vatsim, but close enough so you can connect to ATC.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png