You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Training Advice Please

Tom Kaliamos

Tom Kaliamos
Posted
Posted

Hi fellow pilots,

I finally upgraded from x-plane 8 to x-plane 11 and I really want to get the most out of VATSIM.

I'm really finding it difficult to get signed up with a training provider and could use some help. Every place I've tried has some complicated process and/or requirements to download various unexplained software etc.

I'm located in Australia, have a good internet connection, fairly proficient flying just about any airframe and need proper training to be able to add to the VATSIM community by having a full understanding of airport and airspace procedures.

This co-pilot is looking for a captain to walk me through the sign-up and getting started phase, I should be good from there.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Tom Kaliamos

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

Have a look at www.vatstar.com. We definitely don't have any "complicated" processes to sign up and besides Discord, there is no need for additional software. Although we do most of our training in the US airspace, we have at least one instructor available in your timezone.

Tomas Hansson

Jay Lawrence
Posted
Posted

In addition to Tomas' suggestion of VATSTAR, which is very highly regarded, Boston Virtual ARTCC has a Pilot Ratings Program that might also work for you. (I am not a member at BVA I just discovered the program a couple weeks ago and thought it was well put together.)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It is, speaking as someone else who was not involved in creating it.

VATSTAR on the other hand *is* something I was involved in creating, and I do still think it's very good also.  🙂  BVA's program is great if you want to self-study and perform the required exam flights anytime ZBW has requisite ATC staffing; VATSTAR is great if you prefer a bit more one-on-one teaching and training.

A complete list of VATSIM Authorized {Pilot} Training Organizations can be found here:
https://ptd.vatsim.net/atos

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Peter Kraus
Posted
Posted

I will vouch highly for VATSTAR. As a newer person myself I've found it easy to get started with them. I've completed my P1 so far and studying now for P2.