You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Xsquawkbox window in middle of screen

Joe Chou 980766

Joe Chou 980766
Posted
Posted

When running X-plane at higher resolutions, the XSB messages history / text entry line / and ATC Online windows all appear in the middle of the screen, obscuring part of the panel or view outside.

Based on Googling an ancient post on the now defunct XSB forum ( http://www.xsquawkbox.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=411 ), I suspect this is normal behavior, but wanted to confirm.

Incidentally, 2 days ago, I got a 24" iMac core 2 duo, which is now set up to dual boot into Windows XP for the sole purpose of flying VATSIM (ugh, Windows..) I'm not terribly proficient with using Windows OS, so might be posting other X-plane / Windows / XSB / VATSIM questions shortly. Hoping an universal binary version of XSB eventually comes out.

Running X-plane in Windows XP on a MacIntel... Why do things the easy way?

Thomas Hall 933426
Posted
Posted

Joe, my understanding is that you don't have to boot into Windoze. You can use Parallels software to run Windoze OS

in a window on the Mac and drag and drop files between the OSes.

If it has a location then its GIS!

Joe Chou 980766
Posted
Posted
Joe, my understanding is that you don't have to boot into Windoze. You can use Parallels software to run Windoze OS

in a window on the Mac and drag and drop files between the OSes.

Yes, Parallels is an option that I did consider, and am still considering. What made me go Boot Camp first was:

- theoretically, slightly better performance; Parallels does have some CPU over head

- free; Parallels is commercial; Boot Camp is a free public beta

- likely continued support when OS X 10.5 comes out (again, "free" if you don't count needing to buy 10.5)

- _probably_ fewer incompatibility issues

But, I do admit, repeatedly rebooting the computer to change operating systems is going to get real old, real fast. And, using Windows XP just continues to remind me why I personally prefer the Mac OS.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
When running X-plane at higher resolutions, the XSB messages history / text entry line / and ATC Online windows all appear in the middle of the screen, obscuring part of the panel or view outside.

I noticed the same thing when running at my normal resolution. When I had the res turned down the first time I ran X-Plane and XSB it was indeed at the top. I wish I could move it as well.

Hey - by the way people - I made a modification to SimRoutes so that it generates flightplans in the format used by the X-Plane FMC. I'd love feedback on that feature. At the very least I hope it will save everyone some time from having to type in every waypoint (probably even easier than using Keith Smith's FMS Plugin as well).

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Peter Larsen 885332
Posted
Posted

I noticed the same thing when running at my normal resolution. When I had the res turned down the first time I ran X-Plane and XSB it was indeed at the top. I wish I could move it as well.

Hey - by the way people - I made a modification to SimRoutes so that it generates flightplans in the format used by the X-Plane FMC. I'd love feedback on that feature. At the very least I hope it will save everyone some time from having to type in every waypoint (probably even easier than using Keith Smith's FMS Plugin as well).

Us X-Plane users love You .

3500.png

Joe Chou 980766
Posted
Posted

Cool, it's confirmed then, so I won't go hunting around for a "solution" to that issue.

And THANK you -- I did notice that the other day in SimRoutes -- it should really help a lot, especially when running X-Plane natively in Mac OS X. As far as I know, if Keith Smith's FMS plug-in is the one from California Air, then like XSB, it's not a Universal binary, so can't be used on MacIntels running OS X.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

I don't have a clue what a universal binary is and ya I think Keith's FMS plugin is the CalAir one.

If there are other X-Plane related file formats for FMC's etc - I'd be more than happy to have SimRoutes provide more on the fly files.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles