You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SIDs / STARs

Russell West

Russell West
Posted
Posted

Simple question. I currently don't have any planes that have built in FMS / CDU. 

Do many people on Vatsim handfly the SIDs / STARs? 
If not, what's the alternative?

Thanks,
Russell

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

You can hand fly them if you can reference the way points, I did this back before I got my first FMS equipped aircraft.

You can also advise you are not SID/STAR capable and request the controller vector you.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

John Koranteng
Posted
Posted

I also suggest you note that you do not have FMC in your aircraft on the remarks section of your flightplan. Something like "NO FMC" would do so the controllers are aware beforehand. 🙂

Also, as Krik said, The controller would vector you, so you wont be needing to handfly the whole SID/STAR. 
P.S. for flights, I recommend planning through Simbrief or PFPX and exporting the routes to your flight simulator. Saves a lot of time by exporting the route file to the sim. (Which i'm sure you do right?)

John K
VATSIM Membership Department - Data Auditing
[email protected]

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

You don't need an FMC to fly a SID or a STAR.  You can fly a non-RNAV SID or STAR simply by tuning the appropriate VORs in your NAV radios and setting the prescribed courses in your OBS / HSI.  You don't need to "hand-fly" them, either -- your autopilot should have a VOR/LOC mode which will track that radial out for you.  Vertical navigation is a bit more complex but if you use a general rule of starting your descent 3 miles prior to the crossing restriction for every 1,000 feet you need to lose to get there, it should work out okay.  (I use a bit more of a conservative ratio of 3.5 miles, myself, but that's just me.)

Admittedly, non-RNAV SIDs and STARs can be a lot harder to find -- but they're still out there, most places.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png