To fly co-pilot you will need to utilize a third-party plugin such as SmartCoPilot (which is payware, and you mentioned above). The Swift "shared-cockpit" mode is used by the co-pilot to connect to the VATSIM network, but as an observer, and can not be used for your partner to connect inside of your aircraft and use any controls, etc. : but only allows the user to receive and transmit on radio frequencies, and pick up surrounding traffic through their simulator.

I recommend you checkout this documentation on the Swift co-pilot observer feature: https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/spc/flightwithswift/sharedcockpit/

And you and your partner check out investing in SmartCoPilot or other addons to fly in the same plane to simulate a 2-person cockpit environment.

crisp_logo.png
Aidan Deschene
Cleveland ARTCC Webmaster
VATUSA Web Team
[email protected]

1 hour ago, Aidan Deschene said:

To fly co-pilot you will need to utilize a third-party plugin such as SmartCoPilot (which is payware, and you mentioned above). The Swift "shared-cockpit" mode is used by the co-pilot to connect to the VATSIM network, but as an observer, and can not be used for your partner to connect inside of your aircraft and use any controls, etc. : but only allows the user to receive and transmit on radio frequencies, and pick up surrounding traffic through their simulator.

I recommend you checkout this documentation on the Swift co-pilot observer feature: https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/spc/flightwithswift/sharedcockpit/

And you and your partner check out investing in SmartCoPilot or other addons to fly in the same plane to simulate a 2-person cockpit environment.

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 4:51 PM, Aidan Deschene said:

Hi, was wondering if by having two pilots with purchased licenses of smartcopilot you can both recieve and transmit on vatsim with 1 user´s vatsim account. can you do that with swift? Thanks!

Yes, you can. One pilot will connect as regular flight to VATSIM and the other pilot will connect to VATSIM in "Observer Mode" to be invisible to ATC and other pilots. We have several members using swift who are flying as shared cockpit.

1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

He asked about doing it with one user's VATSIM account.

Thanks, I missed this detail.

Technically, this could be done through swift, I believe. It just has to be run on two separate systems, because can be run only once at a time on one computer. But as you wrote, per VATSIM regulations one must never open two or more connections to VATSIM with the same VATSIM credentials.