You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Mode C stuck until airborne

Matthew Kemp

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I fly using Vpilot, FSX and FSX default aircraft (A321 and B738). 

I've noticed a problem with Vpilot. I cannot turn on mode C until I am airborne. If it try to turn mode C on, Vpilot automatically turns it off immediately. Therefore, controllers are often requesting me to activate mode C when lining up on the runway but I am unable. 

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks in advance. 😊

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I haven't heard of that issue.  

Just curious, though, does that happen with all aircraft you fly? 

Does the behavior change if you uncheck "Automatically squawk Mode C on takeoff"?  I'm thinking it shouldn't -- I have that option selected, but haven't flown a default aircraft in at least a decade -- before vPilot was introduced -- so don't remember their level of integration.  But something to try if you haven't yet.

https://vpilot.metacraft.com/Documentation#transponder

SettingsMiscellaneous.png

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Don - thanks for replying.

Yes, this happens with all aircraft I fly which makes me think it's a problem with vpilot trying to do it's thing with the default FSX radio panel.

I've tried with "Automatically squawk Mode C on takeoff" turned on and turn off. Vpilot still turns off mode C on when lining up. If it's not ticked I have to manually turn it it on after positive rate.

Edited by Matthew Kemp
Fixed typo

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

@Ross Carlson probably knows/remembers the FSX behavior better than I.  Maybe that's one reason for the note in the documentation regarding the requirement for transponder integration.

If the add-on aircraft you are flying has SquawkBox transponder integration, then vPilot will detect transponder mode changes when you toggle the mode using the aircraft panel within the sim. If this happens, you'll see the Mode C button on the vPilot main window light up in green when the transponder is in Mode C.

If the aircraft does not support SquawkBox integration, then you'll need to manage the transponder mode yourself, simply by clicking the Mode C button on the vPilot main window. Mode C is indicated by this button being lit up in green, otherwise it is in standby mode.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't think the default FSX radio panels have a "mode C", so according to that I should be able to manage it manually through vpilot. However, it seems vpilot thinks the aircraft supports squawkbox integration while on the ground and hence turns mode C off when I try to turn it on

Edited by Matthew Kemp
Fixed another typo 🤒

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot never turns off mode C ... it only turns it on when airborne if you have that option checked.

Perhaps there is some other add-on messing with it?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

I run; FSrealWX, vasFMC, Ultimate Traffic 2 (turned off), Skytrack (my VA's flight tracking software), my VA's AI traffic package (turned off), WOAI and some IVAO software (turned off). I'm also using my VA's aircraft but these use the default FSX cockpits and panels as well 

Due to my PC spec, I only use freeware scenery which uses the default object libraries.

spacer.png

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

You're point got me thinking Ross, so I had a google and I think I've found my solution: 

It looks like vasFMC is interfering with the mode C button in vpilot

spacer.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Correct. vasFMC has an option to operate your aircraft's transponder. You can either manually select the desired mode of operation through the CDU of vasFMC or you can select "AUTO" (or similar).