For the most part I'm happy about the change to realistic audio ranges, but one of the issues I've been running into with this new audio is talking with Center controllers when no other positions are on particularly with larger CTRs. When someone on the ground is trying to get a clearance or someone four states away is trying to make a position report they can't hear the other person talking and they end up blocking the transmission. At least in my experience since this new change blocked transmissions and people stepping on each other have become far more frequent and it can be frustrating, especially in when the CTR is busy.

As much as I am a fan of realism due to the limitations of VATSIM I think audio range should be increased. In real life most pilots are calling a local controller for their clearance and CTRs are covered by several controllers split into sectors, unfortunately these things are not always so in VATSIM and so we have to make adjustments and have certain "VATSIM-isms".

What is everyone else's thoughts on this? Has anyone else noticed the increase in blocked transmissions or is it just me?

Agree with Nestor. If your FE has configured the facility/frequency properly, it's possible to use a single frequency, across an entire ARTCC, and allow a pilot on the ground at one side of the airspace to hear a pilot on the ground 500nm away. That's how we operate 134.70 in ZBW.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

• 3 months later...

I deliberately run with XC OFF so that airborne aircraft get the full immersion of AFV’s range degradation. Honestly it doesn’t bother me if you step on someone. I’ll sort it out on the frequency. The biggest thing you can do from a pilot standpoint to mitigate stepping on someone that you can’t hear is if you hear the controller give a clearance that you know requires a readback, don’t jump in and key up as soon as he’s done issuing it. Wait however long you think a readback might take (perhaps even read back the instruction to yourself to mentally time it).

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png