You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help with atc

• question

Florian Loschy

Florian Loschy
Posted
Posted
I am new to Vatsim and i wanted to make a flight. What if there is only a Arrival/Departure Controller online? Will he do the Job for everything under him or should i just use Unicom for Delivery, Ground and Tower? I couldnt find anything about that.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Hi Florian, welcome to VATSIM!

We provide "top-down" coverage, meaning that the Arrival/Departure Controller from your example will provide Delivery, Ground, and Tower services for any airport within their airspace (primary and any satellites that are towered in real life). The same applies to Center.

If you're ever not sure, it's very reasonable to just tune the controller's frequency, identify yourself and your current position (important!), and check to see whether the airport is in that person's area. You can also use tools like VatSPY to see the boundaries for Centers.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi! Welcome to VATSIM!

When there is a lack of controllers, ATC works in a 'top-down' system. Think of it as CTR > APP > TWR > GND > DEL. If, as you say, there is only an APP controller (arrival/departure), they would control their position, APP, but also they would cover 'top-down' the TWR, GND and DEL positions. If you're in the ground at Manchester Airport, EGCC, and you only see EGCC_S_APP connected, which is the APP controller for Manchester, you can tune their frequency to get clearance and all other services that TWR, GND, and DEL would provide. 

EDIT: Seems like I posted the answer at the same time as Evan, oh well...

Edited by Samuel Rey

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Florian Loschy
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies now i understand 🙂