You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Tower trainer, aircraft stopping at wrong taxiway

John Holt 811222

John Holt 811222
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

I finished writing the .apt file for KJLN http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0611/00540AD.PDF.

I instructed the aircraft to taxi to 18 via Bravo, Delta. The aircraft taxied on Delta to intersection Golf and called holding short 18. The aircraft will no taxi all the way to Delta and Rwy 18. I was able to instruct the aircraft to taxi via Bravo, Delta, Golf to 18 and Bravo, Delta, Hotel to 18. Now when the aircraft holds at Delta & Golf and I clear it for take off it continues all the way down to the proper end point ( delta and 18 ). I checked all the Lat & long points and they are correct. Any idea why the aircraft won't taxi all the way to the delta rwy 18 point on initial command.

Thanks

John Holt

จอห์นโฮลท์

Thailand vACC Director

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My guess is that the waypoint on D at the corner of D/G is too close to runway 18, so when it gets there, it thinks it's going to enter the runway and holds short. Then, when you clear it for t/o, it resumes taxiing to the end of the runway. Double check the waypoints along D to make sure they aren't too close to the runway. If that doesn't help, send me your apt file, your air file, and your sct file. My email is ross at vatsim dot net.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

John Holt 811222
Posted
Posted

Thanks Ross, I'll try to off set the point further to the out side (away from the runway) and see if that works. The aircraft may not taxi in the middle of the taxiway but it will be close enough for training. I'll just tell my students the pilot had a few too many beers the night before!!!

John Holt

จอห์นโฮลท์

Thailand vACC Director

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Actually, John, do me a favor and send me the three files anyway. I'd like to see if there's a bug or perhaps the code is too sensitive when it checks for intersections.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

John Holt 811222
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I sent you the files via the e-mail on the support section. Your ross at vatsim dot net kept getting kicked back back. Also I was able to fix the probem. I re-programed the taxiway 90 ft to left (west) of the center of taxiway Delta and the aircraft p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed that point with no problem. I does appear that it may be too sensitive.

Thanks

John Holt

จอห์นโฮลท์

Thailand vACC Director

Chris Brew 814351
Posted
Posted

I also encountered this problem when constructing a file for London, Ontario (CYXU). There are three taxiways (D, A, and H) requiring 90 degree turns to get into and hold short of the main runway 15-33 from the taxiway that runs parallel to 15-33. I'll try the fix suggested as a work-around.

• 6 months later...
Matthew Hull 826839
Posted
Posted

I'm completing work on a file for KMRY. This airport has relatively close parallel taxiways and runways. When aircraft are given a taxi command, they often get to close to the rwy and hold short as if they think they are going to enter the rwy as you mentioned to the other guy. Did you ever figure out if there was an error in the code for the aircraft being too sensitive?

Matthew Hull 826839
Posted
Posted

BUMP!! I gues it takes 3+ days to get a reply here? come 'on!