You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help understanding model matching logic

GASTALDI  Florent

GASTALDI  Florent
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I've red the documentation and the FAQ. 
I'd like someone to help me see if i get it right, please.

If I'm flying a B777 with a very fictive callsign, not mimicking a real company, vPilot will 1st look for the callsign matching and get no result because it doesn't exist in real life.
Then it will look for the aircraft type and get a result so it will show the correct type as white or as another company.
Is that right ?

I fly in a VA under KVL callsign. Every time we will log as KVLXXXX, we should get the correct type but no livery, right ?
There's no reason to get the fallback model ? Or the callsign being fictive will jump the logic to the line "fallback" ?

And, finally, to get VAs model, we need to build our own and use custom rule, right ?
VATSIM doesn't support VAs model as IVAO does, does it ? Even for "official partner" VA.

Thank you,
Florent

Edited by GASTALDI Florent

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GASTALDI Florent said:

If I'm flying a B777 with a very fictive callsign, not mimicking a real company, vPilot will 1st look for the callsign matching and get no result because it doesn't exist in real life.
Then it will look for the aircraft type and get a result so it will show the correct type as white or as another company.
Is that right ?

That is, I believe, correct.

I fly in a VA under KVL callsign. Every time we will log as KVLXXXX, we should get the correct type but no livery, right ?
There's no reason to get the fallback model ? Or the callsign being fictive will jump the logic to the line "fallback" ?

Provided the correct airframe ICAO code is entered, you should get the white (if there is one!) livery when it can't find a match.

And, finally, to get VAs model, we need to build our own and use custom rule, right ?
VATSIM doesn't support VAs model as IVAO does, does it ? Even for "official partner" VA.

VATSIM doesn't no, but if you're using the FLAI pack, you can get your VA added to that pack but there are certain restrictions on this - see the FAQ for details:

http://flai.bvartcc.com/#faq

Otherwise, you can create your own AI pack and distribute this to your fellow VA members along with the ruleset for them to upload to their pilot client.

Trevor Hannant

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Make sure you're using the correct ICAO code.  e.g. NOT "B777".

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

How you are seen by others is also dependent upon what sim and pilot client THEY use, what models THEY have installed, and how THEY have their model-matching configured.  It is, in fact, possible -- I dare say probable -- that you will appear differently to each different user around you.  If you have logged on with a proper callsign and ICAO aircraft type, you've done pretty much all you can do to influence how you appear to other users.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GASTALDI Florent said:

Just a slight correction here ... if the other pilot is using vPilot, they will not show you as another company, unless they have loaded a custom model matching ruleset that explicitly maps KVL to another company. If they don't have a specific rule that matches KVL as the callsign prefix and B772 as the type code, then vPilot will next look for a rule that has B772 as the type code and no callsign prefix at all. If such a rule is found (this would typically be the generic white or Boeing house livery) then that will be used. If no such rule is found, then vPilot will fall back to the default model.

Again, what I'm saying here is only relevant if the other pilot is using vPilot. If they are using another client, then the behavior will be different.

As Rob says, the only thing you can do to control how others see you is to choose the correct type code and enter the correct callsign when you connect.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

GASTALDI  Florent
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your help.
I'm going to go "back home" and share what I just learned here :)