You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Shared cockpit

Jonas Koch

Jonas Koch
Posted
Posted

Hey. I have a question about shared cockpit and vatsim.

Can you fly two people on the same account if you are doing shared cockpit physically? I did look in coc, but all I found was about shared cockpit via software. 
To be more specific, if you for instance are doing a transatlantic flight, is it aloud to hand the control, and communication with atc, to another pilot? when logged in to your account?

Thanks in advance.

Jk 

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

When fly in shared environment, both pilots need to log on with their respective VATSIM credentials. One pilot will have to log on with the official callsign (e.g. DLH123), the other pilot will use another callsign (you could add a letter at the end of the official callsign (e.g. DLH123A). The pilot with the secondary callsign will have to choose "observer" mode in his pilot client, otherwise he will be appearing as a target on the our radar screens. Once you are both online and have established the shared cockpit connection, you handover controls and comms as you like - as long as the flight is always responsive, you will be fine: it does not matter who of the two pilots responds to ATC calls.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

I think Jonas is asking along the lines of both pilots being in the same room together and flying on one computer (so only one connection is necessary). To my knowledge there’s nothing wrong with that, however, the person who connects to the network on their account bears the responsibility of making sure the CoC is followed at all times and will be held responsible for any violations regardless of which pilot made the mistake.

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Jonas Koch
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Josh Jenk said:

I think Jonas is asking along the lines of both pilots being in the same room together and flying on one computer (so only one connection is necessary). To my knowledge there’s nothing wrong with that, however, the person who connects to the network on their account bears the responsibility of making sure the CoC is followed at all times and will be held responsible for any violations regardless of which pilot made the mistake.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. So that's ok, I guess as long as the CoC and relevant procedures is followed? 

Thanks 

Jk

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi, so I would not call this "shared cockpit", but rather "home cockpit" or "2 persons operating the same computer/simulator together".

As mentioned above: as long as you don't miss ATC calls and as long as you behave, you'll be fine. Should the visiting pilot do "something stupid" and gets caught, the account of the ID-owner will be targeted. Just use common sense.

Jonas Koch
Posted
Posted

Yeah, my bad. 

Thanks for the answer, that makes sense.

Cheers Jk 

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Hi, so I would not call this "shared cockpit", but rather "home cockpit" or "2 persons operating the same computer/simulator together".

As mentioned above: as long as you don't miss ATC calls and as long as you behave, you'll be fine. Should the visiting pilot do "something stupid" and gets caught, the account of the ID-owner will be targeted. Just use common sense.

For added realism, use the VATSIM account of the pilot-in-command... "simulated accountability"...

• Haha 2
23.png